New to the sport from Wyoming

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Wyorider

New to the sport from Wyoming

Post by Wyorider »

Hey folks, I'm just starting out riding at the young age of 32 and this is my first bike. I got it for a song last fall and quickly found this site. The bike is an 03 KDX 220R, overall in decent shape but has been ridden ( just some scratches in the plastic and somehow a dog chewed on them a bit). Anyway, with the advice I found on this site I have done the following:
1. Replaced piston with wiseco forged (std. bore)
2. Cleaned KIPS
3. New top end gaskets, I guess that is obvious
4. Replaced petcock oring
5. Removed carb and found out the PO used black RTV to try and fix the jet block gasket, replaced jet block oring and re-jetted still needs work though.
6. Installed hand guards
7. New clutch perch/lever and cable.

I've done a few more basic maintenance items but I really like riding so far. I ride anywhere from 5000' to maybe 10k? Not sure yet as I've only ridden it a handful of times. I'm looking forward to improving my riding and maybe doing a local desert race, but mostly just getting out with friends and riding!
Thanks for such a great site and the wealth of info. I'll post a picture when I figure that out!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New to the sport from Wyoming

Post by 6 Riders »

Welcome...Good choice on a first bike :bravo:
To post pictures you need to use a photo hosting site like photobucket, or if you can access it, the gallery on this site. Once you have a photo loaded to photobucket, click on the photo you want to post, to the right of the photo you'll see a heading that says "share this photo" and four choices, the bottom one says "IMG", click on the box NEXT to "IMG" The box will turn yellow and say "copied", then right click in this text box and paste
You will see something like this; (not exactly of course, but I'm sure you get the idea)
'url=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/evil_t ... o.jpg.html]img]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac16 ... 43_Pro.jpg[/img][/url]

Then when you "submit" your post, that thread looks like this;
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. Congratulations on the KDX.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Wyorider

Post by Wyorider »

I'll try posting this from my super motors account

Looks like that will work! There it is in all its glory! Hopefully it doesn't snow this weekend and I can go ride more!
Wyorider

Post by Wyorider »

Thanks for the warm welcome! I hope to contribute something to the forum someday. But for now I will continue to be a sponge and just soak up the knowledge and read opinions.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome to the forums. We have a bunch of guys here that like to ride light headed (high altitude) that can share info on jetting, etc.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Wyorider wrote:I'll try posting this from my super motors account

Looks like that will work! There it is in all its glory! Hopefully it doesn't snow this weekend and I can go ride more!
Wow, nice clean bike. Do yourself a favor and get a pipe guard before you dent the crap out of that beautiful pipe!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Wyorider

Post by Wyorider »

Thanks! I'm slowly getting this bike better protected for the areas that we ride around here. A pipe guard and skid plate are pretty high on the priority list. A new clutch and two new tires are going to be the next upgrades for the bike but I may have to upgrade my personal protective equipment first. My work boots are kind of clunky for shifting/braking and some shin guards would be beneficial to my legs. I've been trying to only spend about $100 per month on new parts and it seems to be keeping my girlfriend a little less mad at me. I'm leaning towards the Maxxis Maxxcross desert IT tires as my buddies who race seem to really like them on their husky TE300's. We'll see
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Get real boots and ride with even a bald tire. YOURSELF FIRST!!! then the bike. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

+1 on the Boots. As a minimum you should have riding specific boots, helmet, gloves and eye protection to start. Also, a pair of riding pants beats the hell out of blue jeans. The plus side is that personal gear will last a while (my last pair of Gaerne boots was 16 years old and had been resoled twice before the plastic finally started falling apart and I had to replace them).
Wyorider

Post by Wyorider »

Well, the tire is not bald yet... So I ordered some boots from RMATVMC. I got the forma terrain Evo boots on closeout for 99 bucks. I'll give a review after I have several trips on them. I only saw one bad review and they seem like a good starter boot. So yeah, went over budget this month, but hopefully no more bloody shins :lol:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

GOOD JOB! :bravo:

Once you get used to riding in them, you will wonder how in the world you ever did without.