New guy from Alabama

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
IceCold4x4

New guy from Alabama

Post by IceCold4x4 »

Well been looking for a KDX for a while now and I like projects so here is the "project" (also known as jesus that's bad too?) I've been away from bikes for 20 years just got back into them 3 years ago. Started with a Vulcan 750 realized I wanted more power and turning ability so went and got a ZRX1100, well a pile of cash later and some suspension and wiseco pistons and a bunch of ZX11 stuff later I realize I've got a problem leaving well enough alone. So about a year ago a buddy took me to ride dirt with him on his little loaner TTR225, and well I had a fun time it just wasn't enough bike. I'm 6ft and 260 lbs so the little 225 had real trouble pulling me up a hill in anything other than 1st, and the suspension was set for someone 100 lbs lighter and didn't like it when I got air. So then I picked up a free pit bike and well wound up taking it to a local offroad park and got the snot beat out of me but it made it and I had a ball of fun. So after a full onslaught from my buddies about getting a "real" dirt bike I caved in and bought this lowly abused wretch of a kdx that's apparently going to take alot more to get to riding condition than i had hoped. But the important this is the wife approved another bike in the garage. So I'm a bit crazy and generally know just enough to get myself in trouble and should rarely be taken too seriously.

So here's some pictures of the KDX and then my baby the ZRX

1997 KDX 200 - FMF pipe and silencer and I have no clue what else yet.
2000 ZRX1100 - 1109 big bore, ZX11 carbs / cams/ double valve springs / igntion box / Kerker exhaust. It's Mad Max black and fast but rarely clean
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 - The toy hauler and sleeper. 300hp and AWD in a soccer mom SUV.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New guy from Alabama

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. I am in the Huntsville area.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New guy from Alabama

Post by MaverickAus »

G'day, seen you on the ZRXOA. Welcome to KDX land
IceCold4x4

New guy from Alabama

Post by IceCold4x4 »

MaverickAus wrote:G'day, seen you on the ZRXOA. Welcome to KDX land
I can add you and Tac from the OA to blame for this, what with your frame off restoration lol. unfortunately I dunno where to spend my funds the ZRX or this haha.
2000 ZRX1100 - 1109 big bore, ZX11 carbs / cams/ double valve springs / igntion box / Kerker exhaust. It's Mad Max black and fast but rarely clean
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 - The toy hauler and sleeper. 300hp and AWD in a soccer mom SUV.
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

Both are money holes lol I've already spent almost $2,000 AUS on the KDX in this restoration and I still have to have the seat done and buy chain and sprockets. :doh:
IceCold4x4

New guy from Alabama

Post by IceCold4x4 »

So the KDX is alive again. Grand total investment so far 425.... not too bad.

[youtube][/youtube]
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations. What did you do to it?
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

Jason wrote:Congratulations. What did you do to it?
Slapped in a used cylinder and piston off ebay, cleaned carb (kinda just a quickie) new throttle cable, entire front brake system replaced with used unit. And cleaned and replaced a crap ton of kissing bolts.

Then I lost the left hand nut and 2 bolts to the cover so I'm currently waiting on the left hand nut to have a functional kips

Here's some dis assembled pics

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on getting it going.
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

Ohgood dropped by and gave a hand getting a few little details sorted. Said it was pretty quiet for a kdx... Needs a new front wheel bearing and apparently it doesn't have a kdx rear hub. Pointed out that I had a Clark tank, that was a nice surprise. Started on the first kick when cold. Bent the pipe back in line a bit. And hopefully it'll get it's first time in the dirt with me this weekend. Here she is with all the plastics back on. Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

Installed a few new farkles this week and ordered a bunch more stuff. Got a new chain and supersprox rear sprocket coming ims pegs and some new levers. Installed some compression release valves on the forks as some KTM buddies have them, and well can't let them have all the cool Stuff. Installed some. Renthal RC High bars too.ImageImageImage