NOOB from SW Iowa saying hello

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Thornberry

NOOB from SW Iowa saying hello

Post by Thornberry »

Hello everybody. I recently took a 1996 kdx200 on a partial trade for the first motorcycle I've ever had, which was a Honda Shadow with ape hangers. So this is pretty much the complete opposite of what I am used to. I am very excited because i have wanted a dirtbike for a long time, just never wanted to spend the money to get one. The guy that i got it from said that the owner before him had bored it out to a 250cc, but other than that I don't really know much about it. It seems to be in pretty good shape for its age, nowhere near perfect but that's perfectly fine by me. It starts with just a couple kicks every time and the clutch and brakes feel okay. I haven't had a real chance to ride it yet other than around my yard in town, but I am hoping to be able to take it out to a friends farm tomorrow. What are the most important things that I need to make sure to check over before I take it to the woods?

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: NOOB from SW Iowa saying hello

Post by KDXGarage »

1. Welcome to the forums. Congratulations on your KDX.

2. It is not a 1996, but a 1994.

3. I highly doubt it is 250cc. It may be 240cc, but that would be without the power valves.

At some point (hopefully soon), please buy a Kawasaki service manaul. You can download the owner's manual from www.kawasaki.com. Buying the service manual is going to be your wisest purchase for the motorcycle.

Before the next ride, please take the right fork guard off (the one that is broken and can scratch up the fork tube). It needs to be replaced. The bolts have a 6 mm head on them. The fasteners are 99+% metric.

Check general fastener tightness.

Make sure the air filter is clean and oiled with air filter oil.

Check the transmission oil (10w-40 or equivalent).

Check the coolant level WHILE COOL.

Mix two-stroke motorcycle oil with premium gasoline, around 32:1 to 40:1 for most oils and riders.

Be careful and have fun. Wear some safety gear, too. Don't come back and tell us of a bad wreck. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Thornberry

Post by Thornberry »

Thank you! It sounds like I happened to come across a pretty good bike for what I am wanting to do with it. :grin: How can you tell it is a '94? Just curious on differences in the models.

I will take that fork guard off this afternoon.

Another question I have, would it be okay to run Stihl hp full synthetic chainsaw premix? I have researched some and there seems to be a lot of opinions on whether it is alright to run in a motorcycle or not. I know it is made for air cooled engines, just wondering if it would work in a pinch or if i definitely need to have motorcycle premix.

I've heard that it is alright to use chainsaw bar oil on the air filter. Is this true? I have a lot more access to chainsaw oils and premix than I do to motorcycle specific products, so this would be a lot more convenient for me.

Thank you again for your quick reply and welcoming me to the forum.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yep, definitely not a 96, could be a 93 or 94, they both had the blue USD forks (you can check the VIN stamped on the steerer tube, 10th digit P=93, R=94). Looks like she was rode hard and put away wet.

Like Jason said, check all fluids (oil, coolant, brake), clean filter, right fork guard, fasteners (you appear to be missing the Right side seat bolt and left lower headlight bolts, there's probably a couple more we can't see). Your headlight switch wiring needs to be tucked up out of harms way, right now its just begging to wrap itself around the first branch it sees. Adjust the chain. Go ride.

As for the pre-mix oil, you could use the stihl stuff, though I wouldn't go 50:1, but probably 40:1. The oil question is one of the two stroke flame questions on the internet. I can tell you I have run everything from chainsaw pre-mix to castor oil, Jet ski, and even the cheap lawnmower stuff in a pinch and never had an oil related failure. Bar oil would work on the air filter (it's very similar to regular automotive oil) just make sure you wring out the excess well.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!
Thornberry

Post by Thornberry »

I checked the fluids, coolant and brake fluid are good, but how full is the gear oil supposed to be? Is there somewhere to check it other than the fill cap on top? It looked low to me.

I took that fork guard off and tightened up some bolts that were kind of loose, mostly just plastics and stuff. I will replace the missing ones in the next day or two.

How do you recommend cleaning the air filter? I've heard kerosene works good.

How tight is the chain supposed to be? It is definitely plenty loose right now but I have never dealt with chains. Previous bike was a shaft drive so I've been pretty spoiled.

Thanks for the help! I'm sure I will be asking you guys for advice quite frequently. Any help at all is greatly appreciated!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The appearance is 1989 - 1994 models. 1993 and 1994 had the blue upside down (USD) forks. The stock seat covers were different. 1994 looks like yours.

I wouldn't suggest motorcycle oil for a chainsaw or chainsaw oil for a motorcycle. A quality two stroke oil will be designed to not leave as many deposits on the power valve system.

Look on the right side. There is a little window which shows the transmission / clutch oil level. When the motorcycle is level to the ground, it should be in the middle.

The bolts will be metric, so please don't use SAE.

Check the filter to make sure it is in good shape with no tears. I do kerosene first, then hot water and Dawn detergent, then a cold rinse. NEVER wring out a filter. Gently squeeze it. After completely air dried, use motorcycle foam filter oil. Gently squeeze out the excess, then again with some paper towels to absorb the extra.

I think it is about 50 - 60 mm on chain tension right at the back of the chain guide slider.

Please view the owner's manual at:

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM ... ng_code=EN

Tons of helpful info on the bike.

There is also a service manual I suggest you buy, made by Kawasaki. 99924-1114-02
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128