New KDX owner: KENTUCKY

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
N2EXTREME

Post by N2EXTREME »

Hello all,
Just bought my first KDX at 46 years old. Never too late, right?

Picked up an '04 KDX 220R yesterday at a local bike shop for $1,500. It appears to have only about 4 or 5 hours on it from the original owner who took meticulous care of it. To be honest, it doesn't even look like it has ever been on dirt. Not a scratch on the case, frame, handguards or the underside of the fenders. I'm looking forward to reading and learning about these bikes I've heard so much about. I think I got a decent deal.

God bless.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Re: New KDX owner: KENTUCKY

Post by doctord23 »

Welcome.
Sounds like a good deal.
Post some pictures.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Welcome!

The one thing you want to check is the piston. The stock 220 pistons are a known issue. They crack and cause major damage. There are many threads on this site about the 220's stock piston issue. Install an aftermarket one and enjoy a great bike.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. Congratulations on the purchase.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
offshoretitan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by offshoretitan »

Change the piston immediately. Don't ride it until this is done. I had the same situation with approximately 11-12 hours. Here's a picture of the piston after I rode it another 15 or so. Wish I hadn't. I could have done some serious damage if this skirt had let go.
472 (That's Kate's fingernail - just to be clear!)
N2EXTREME

Post by N2EXTREME »

Thanks everyone.

Like I said, I'm new to the 2-stroke community and joined here to learn more about these bikes. I appreciate the heads-up on the stock piston issue, wasn't even aware. Any suggestions/links to a good piston?

Pics coming soon, that is as soon as I figure out how to do it. :grin:
seniorsehas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by seniorsehas »

Seems like a great deal! It being stock you'll have a good time with upgrades now. Welcome to the forum
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

That's a great find and price! Congratulations. 2X on the piston replacement. If it is that new I would just plan on replacing it with a Wiseco. I know it sounds expensive to you having just shelled out the money for the bike. However, in the long run it is MUCH cheaper than having a piston crack and dump metal into the lower end.
Regarding upgrades, I'd get the jetting right first and then focus on getting the suspension dialed in for your weight and ability. You'll find a concise guide to suspension on Jeff Fredette's website:
http://www.frpoffroad.com/kdxposed.htm . The other mod to the forks I highly recommend is the "shim stack" mod. You'll find it on this website. Shim Stack mod made a huge difference in how my bike handles sharp edged bumps, rocks, roots, etc. Only after I got the suspension and jetting dialed in would I worry about engine mods. The stock bike, properly jetted, has plenty of power, more than most of us can use to be truthful. I've seen a good rider put my stock bike through it's paces and it can really rip in the right hands. (Unfortunately not yet in MY hands!)

Have fun with it and welcome to the forums!

Oh, yeah. get rid of those stock "hand protectors" and get you some good bark busters before you hurt yourself!
N2EXTREME

Post by N2EXTREME »

Thanks for the advice. I was assuming Wiseco was the way to go; had to replace the stock pistons in my old '76 Electra-Glide and used Wiseco...very reputable company.

Stock handguards are pretty much cosmetic, just like the ones on my KLR. That will be addressed before "hitting" the woods.