First KDX

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Ms0619

First KDX

Post by Ms0619 »

Just picked up my first KDX, 2004 for 1100$, still on the original tires (not bald either). Cant wait to get this thing updated and ready to ride.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: First KDX

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Is that a 200 or 220? If a 220 check the piston before you ride.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

X2 on the piston check! And congrats on the KDX! If its in nice shape, sounds like ya got it for a pretty good deal.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Ms0619

Post by Ms0619 »

200, and thanks for the tip! Only thing i noticed about it, is what seems to be a normal problem, is the loud clutch.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You're clutch shouldn't be making any noise, what exactly do you mean by loud clutch?
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Does your clutch noise change when you pull in the clutch? Mine has a "loud clutch" too that I thought was normal especially after hearing a 17 KTM 300 sound the same at idle. Mine goes away completely when you pull in the clutch and so did the KTM's. A while ago I took it apart to check the basket bushings and it's tight. I checked the fingers for notching and also replaced the clutch plates, springs, and the bearing that the clutch actuator rod goes into. When you rotate the basket back and forth quickly (clack clack)....that small amount of play between the basket ring gear and the primary gear is where I thought the noise was coming from and just left it at that. I wonder what to check next? Maybe the primary gear isn't torqued to spec. Maybe some bikes have a little more play in the gears and it is normal. Bufftester does your bike sound exactly the same at idle whether the clutch is pulled in or not?
doctord23
Supporting Member

First KDX

Post by doctord23 »

Pretty typical that the engine in neutral is noisy and quiets down when the clutch is disengaged.
The transmission primary shaft is not turning when disengaged.
On KDX's, the kips quiets down as well when the clutch lever is pulled. I'm not sure why.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Thank you doctor, that makes sense. I'm going to leave it alone. I remember reading years ago in one of the dirt bike magazines that when they do the decibel sound check for Supercross they pull the clutch in. Mine seemed a little excessive but now that I've had it apart I feel ok about the clutch itself being solid.
Ms0619 I recently picked up a 220 that sounds in similar condition to the one you got but i had to get that piston out of there. I hope you enjoy your new bike. I'm loving mine...like sit on a 5 gallon bucket in the garage and stare at it with a beer love it haha.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

First KDX

Post by bufftester »

doctord23 wrote:Pretty typical that the engine in neutral is noisy and quiets down when the clutch is disengaged.
The transmission primary shaft is not turning when disengaged.
On KDX's, the kips quiets down as well when the clutch lever is pulled. I'm not sure why.

+1 The KIPS noise is a mystery to everyone lol. On mine, when in neutral, there is no noticeable difference between clutch in or out.
Ms0619

Post by Ms0619 »

Yeah the noise goes away when i pull the clutch in, i have seen people run a full qt of oil and that seems to help with the noise
Ms0619

Post by Ms0619 »

Thank you everyone for your replies! I just got my parts in, new tires, sprockets, chain, brake caliper rebuild kit, and new graphics for the shroud. Can't wait to get it all installed.
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

Sounds great! Keep us informed with the restoration and upgrades....!
Ms0619

Post by Ms0619 »

Wouldnt mind posting pics but i can't figure out how?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Ms0619 wrote:Wouldnt mind posting pics but i can't figure out how?
photobucket and such places can host your pictures. then you link to them from here.

The Gallery here is for one star and above members, I think. I am trying to get some clarification on that.

You may have noticed that the site has no ads. Donations keep it going. With it just on donations, there is not a ton of web space for hosting pictures.

Thanks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Ms0619

Post by Ms0619 »

So, i want to do a gnarly woods and turbinecore, Fredette says no jetting required. What have we found?