Ok, im new to the area

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Bigassneal

Ok, im new to the area

Post by Bigassneal »

Found a mechanic to do a top end job, piston-rings- bearing gaskets.quote 350$ labor plus parts, i like to
Do all my own work, but have never done a top end.he mentioned doing nicoplating.he took it apart
Said cylinder looked good so he just honed it out,said that would be fine.so iv been looking around
To double check,2 mech. Out of town and what iv read this is a no no. Ant way bill is up to 750$
I have looked up parts and price,( i got little pissy) now im worried about cylinder.suppose to get warranty, but i know he doesnt want to see me again.suppose to pick up tommorow,thursday jan.25.
Any thoughts from anybody. Are should i just mark this up for learning experience?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Ok, im new to the area

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. Maybe he did not destroy it, bot one should not hone Electrofusion, you know like it says in the service manual in REAL BOLD PRINT.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Ok, im new to the area

Post by bufftester »

My advice, get it back from him and take the loss as a learning experience. A top end job on a 2 stroke is about $150 in parts and about an hour of labor (2 if you are slow). At a minimum I'd demand the invoice showing what he paid for parts, how much labor he's charging. I'd demand money taken off for honing an electroplated cylinder (that alone would keep me from ever recommending him). There is absolutely nothing on this bike that can't be done at home with just a handful of special tools (none of which are very expensive).