New to me KDX craigslist trade

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Bmarc

Post by Bmarc »

I am new to this forum but not new to forums in general. My KDX story. A year ago the local scrapper sold me a 1986 kawasaki KX 80. I bought the bike for $$150. Was probably $100 to much. Anyway I was gonna build it for my wife. After another $200 or so. I officially hated the 80. Good running motor. Thats it. I also figured a 2 stroke race bike was probably not the best starter for my 100lb wife. On craiglist barter it went. I was asking for a small running quad. I would have taken an e ton at this point. Tons of offers came in. Including a guy that offered a yamaha moto 4. In our discussions he asked me if I would be interested in a kdx 200. I figured it must be a rolling chassis, or a set of handle bars. " I would have traded for the rolling chassis, kdx 200 has been a bucket list bike for me" I agreed to the trade and what I got. A running KDX 200. It floored me. The bike is rough. Missing the front brake. Clutch seems to be seized. It is beat from one end to the other.... It started 3rd kick and sounds healthy. The explanation I got from the seller was this. He is trying to build the first dirt bike motor powered RC car and needed a small 80 cc motor. He said mine spoke to him. Spoke to me as well. It said "Greatest Trade Ever" The seller couldnt have been nicer and couldnt have been happier with the trade. So im gonna assess the bike later today. I am fairly sure it is an "H" I plan to verify this later today. Also I will post pictures on this thread. I know how you experts like to identify. Any advice is welcome. I will obviously be searching the forum on my own, and im fairly adept at doing so. So far I am thrilled with what I have learned about the KDX series. Great part availability, Tons of information. Again I will post pictures later today.
Bmarc

Post by Bmarc »

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New to me KDX craigslist trade

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. Congratulations on the KDX. The pictures don't show up.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Not a bad trade. That would actually be an E-series. No problem with that though! Tons of good info around to help with your rebuild, welcome to the forum!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

Way to go and welcome.
It looks to be an 89 - 92 E-series.
Looks to need some cleanup and fork seals but it looks to be all there except the kickstand and front caliper.
Also tighten the chain while you are at it.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
Bmarc

Post by Bmarc »

Any guess on a year? I wasn't able to get over to my building today. Ill read up on E-series. You are right its not a problem. Im gonna get it going for spring. Next winter ill do a better job. Does anyone stand out in the after market world for these bikes?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Welcome to the forum. Yours is in way better shape then the one I got off CL. I had a great time working on mine. Hope you do to. It is a great feeling taking something that was ready for the scrap pile and turning it into a fine looking and running machine. Quick plug, you can see mine here, http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 03&t=14595, Just so you know what you can turn yours into.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

Character 10 of your 17 digit VIN number designates the model year of the vehicle as follows.

A-1980 B-1981 C-1982 D-1983 E-1984 F-1985 G-1986 H-1987 J-1988 K-1989 L-1990 M-1991 N-1992 P-1993 R-1994 S-1995 T-1996 V-1997 W-1998 X-1999 Y-2000 1-2001 2-2002 3-2003 4-2004 5-2005 6-2006 7-2007 8-2008 9-2009 A-2010 B-2011 C-2012 D-2013
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

1989-1992 (93/94 had USD forks). Parts are the same for those years so a caliper should be not much trouble, may need a new front disc while you're at it. Have fun with the rebuild. Not tons of aftermarket stuff other than pipes/silencers/reeds, but the bike is bullet proof and will take a lot of abuse (obviously :grin:)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

bufftester wrote:...the bike is bullet proof...
Well, except for the power valve parts. :naughty:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Bmarc wrote:On craiglist barter it went. I was asking for a small running quad. I would have taken an e ton at this point. Tons of offers came in. Including a guy that offered a yamaha moto 4. In our discussions he asked me if I would be interested in a kdx 200. I figured it must be a rolling chassis, or a set of handle bars. " I would have traded for the rolling chassis, kdx 200 has been a bucket list bike for me" I agreed to the trade and what I got. A running KDX 200. It floored me. The bike is rough. Missing the front brake. Clutch seems to be seized. It is beat from one end to the other.... It started 3rd kick and sounds healthy. The explanation I got from the seller was this. He is trying to build the first dirt bike motor powered RC car and needed a small 80 cc motor. He said mine spoke to him. Spoke to me as well. It said "Greatest Trade Ever"
Sounds like you need to keep going. A few more trades and you'll have a 2015 or a 2016 in the garage. :rolleyes:
Bmarc

Post by Bmarc »

The stuck clutch. I feel like the plates are stuck. I was thinking about opening it up and putting in new plates. Though A buddy of mine had an xr 80 that used to get the plates stuck. The solution was to run it and heat up the oil and they would loosen up. I plan to make a list of my needed parts. Personally I like OEM. However aftermarket is usually cheaper. I'd like to put a head light and tail light on. Really, I want to be like the Japanese guy I saw on YouTube, trials riding one of these, Might have been a 220. Incredible riding.
Dekon, your bike is my long term goal. Currently I'm gonna use a steam cleaner to clean it up. New tires. Front brake. lever to caliper. Seat cover. Grips and address the clutch. Then ride
Next winter I might consider a frame off. I'll get a picture of the swing arm tomorrow. I feel like it's missing end caps. I'll also track down the vin. I looked. I'll look harder. I appreciate the help guys
Bmarc

Post by Bmarc »

I love to Craigslist barter. Previously my best trade was a Suzuki dr 350. Total junk. Found it abandoned on my family's farm. Was in a stream. Had to dig it out. If any reason just to clean the stream. Asked $50 or trade. An hour later a kid showed up with a early 70s heald super bronc. Straight up trade. South western PA is a hot spot. As long as your offering a bike for a bike, and not a video game system. One persons treasure goes a long way.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

" Really, I want to be like the Japanese guy I saw on YouTube, trials riding one of these, Might have been a 220. Incredible riding. "

That video is cool!

If it has the stock shock spring, then it is 1990, 1991 or 1992. If you can't check out the VIN ASAP, look on google images for bikes with the stock seat cover. Each year is different.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The VIN should be on the front tube of the frame.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Jim B wrote:
bufftester wrote:...the bike is bullet proof...
Well, except for the power valve parts. :naughty:
True, they are a weak link, but even then the bike will run fine with out a functioning power valve lol
Bmarc

Post by Bmarc »

The answer is 1984.
Bmarc

Post by Bmarc »

or a 90
Bmarc

Post by Bmarc »

I just realized that VIN was not a part of my vin. Here are some more pictures.

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Bmarc wrote:Image
Wow, that thing is dirty! :shock: Clean it up with some degreaser and it'll be a huge improvement. How does it even get that dirty by the steering stem??