New guy from Minnesota

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

New guy from Minnesota

Post by TRUAX »

Picked up my first dirt bike since I was a kid. 1992 kdx200 super clean, hardly looks ridden, 1300 on the odometer. The tires on it look practically new, also came with a brand new set, a high performance piston, fork seals, air filter, exhaust packing, filter oils, and some other odds and ends. It was about a two hour drive for me but the six hundred dollar price tag made it worth it for me. Excited to start looking around at the plethora of useful knowledge I'm sure a lot of you have provided!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New guy from Minnesota

Post by bufftester »

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the purchase. Steal of a price if its in decent shape. Pics are always well received!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on the KDX!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

Still trying to figure out how to post pictures! This thing is in unreal shape, everything looks brand new on it. Took a closer look at everything after work today. Looks like the air box cover has been removed, the expansion chamber has a welded on tag that says pro circuit racing, not familiar with it but I assume it's after market. I also have to assume the jetting has been adjusted with how well it's running with those two modifications. Tomorrow after work I'll start on some maintenance, need to change that transfer case oil which does not look real great and maybe a little high, clean the chain up, and grease this and that.

But overall I cannot believe this thing was made in 1992, and the deal I got on it. The guy was about my age, mid 20s, and I don't think he really knew what he had. There wasn't any pictures in his add, and in fact he didn't put the model name either. He simply put great trail bike kawasaki 200, I knew right away what it was. I've been looking for a deal like this for a little over a year now!
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

Started a little maintenance tonight. Started by changing the transfer case oil. The stuff in there didn't look too good, like frothy chocolate milk. Replaced it with ATF type F, giving that a whirl. Next I changed the coolant, that actually didn't look bad at all it must have been changed fairly recently. After that I cleaned the air filter and air box, some PJ1 cleaner and oil came with the bike and it seemed to work pretty well. Don't think I need to clean the carb at all, it seems to be running flawlessly and is very responsive. Up next I'll check on the fork oil and clean that chain up, which looking closer at isn't really dirty or rusty juts a little bit of that black rubber here and there. If there's anything else I should immediately do to this thing please let me know. Otherwise I'm tentatively planning on going for a ride this weekend before all this white stuff comes in.

bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

New guy from Minnesota

Post by bufftester »

Looks like the oil got some water in it at some point. Since you just changed oil, and checked your coolant, I'd keep an eye on your coolant level and make sure it didn't come from there. Other than that it looks like you got a steal on a very nice condition E-series bike! Ride it before the snow gets too deep!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

With all the oil and dirt by the front sprocket, I am thinking you should check the seal / collar /o-ring(s) on the output shaft.

Unless I am seeing it wrong, the front sprocket looks super worn out, meaning new chain and sprockets time.

And I will second what he said on the milky oil. Keep an eye on your oil and coolant to see if the water pump seals are shot.
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

Thanks for the advice gentleman. I'll keep an eye on levels and take a look are the area around the front sprocket to see if there's a leak up there. The sprockets didn't look to bad to me, but as I've said I haven't had a dirt bike since I was 15 years old. The chain doesn't appear to be too stretched out, tension is within specs with deals on the axle set at the 2.5 setting. I'll take some pictures of the sprockets later, maybe I just don't know what a worn one really looks like.

With that oil that came out of the transfer case; it wasn't that color completely just the little froth on the top as I drained it after it was warm. But still not something I liked seeing. Could it perhaps be from just not being ridden over the last decade? Just made me worry a little hearing it could be coming from the water pump. I don't mind wrenching and doing a little maintenance, but my experience with internals is pretty limited.
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

Sprockets are okay, still flat tips and symmetrical. I think the front sprocket was just out of focus in the previous picture. Image Image
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Front looks gone, too thin, which wears chain and such. Time to clean her up
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

Well sure enough I have a leak at the shaft there. When the new 12 tooth sprocket comes I guess I'll be in that neck of the woods anyway.