debating

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
javjacob

debating

Post by javjacob »

New guy here from Missouri. I have been debating heavily on whether or not I should buy a KDX since I already have a sport quad. I have just gotten bored of the quad and don't care too much for the 4 stroke maintenance/expense. I haven't ridden a bike in over 10 years I would bet. I am 30 years old, 5' 8" and about 150 lbs. The KDX I am interested in is a 2001 KDX 220 that is stock and appears to be in really good condition.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: debating

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.

We are a bit biased around here, so you won't find many to say you should not get a KDX.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by two-stroke-brit »

I think depending on how much it is $$$ ,you cant go wrong .
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !
javjacob

debating

Post by javjacob »

The price is 1,500 but I am thinking of offering 1,400 since its late in the season. I am just a bit nervous to get back on a bike and realize how much of my bike riding skills I have lost but time will fix that I am sure. I used to be fearless on a bike in my early teenage years. How do these bikes handle the big hillclimbs?
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I took a 2 or 3 year break from bikes and rode the snot out of my sport quad. I loved it, got very used to it, and felt I was pretty fast on it. Then I Started getting bored with it, and noticed a lot of shortcomings in comparison to bikes. So I got another KDX. It only took a ride or two to get used to the change in handling again. By the 3rd or 4th ride, I wasn't completely back into it, but comfortable enough to ride in a group and not hold anyone back.

It does take some time to get used to the change, but its not that long and its not that hard to adapt. Just have to put in some seat time. Once you start riding again, you will see that it will all come back to you again.

My 220 is awesome with hill climbs. It has so much bottom end, its hard to stall it. I do not think you will be unhappy with your purchase. Only thing I have to say is, if you buy the 220, check it IMMEDIATELY to see if it has a stock or aftermarket piston in it. The stock pistons are cast aluminum and are prone to failures. The skirt will start to crack and break off without warning. You have to run an aftermarket forged one in there, like a Wiseco (look around for more on here for more info if you'd like... I learned the hard way)
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

I would take a 200 over a 220 anyday
and 1400 seems steep to me, specially since you will need to put a new piston in, if its running a stocker
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Jason wrote:Welcome to the forums.

We are a bit biased around here, so you won't find many to say you should not get a KDX.

yeah, this.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

LOL! Just a BIT biased ya' think?
BTW, I've ridden both and I prefer the low end grunt of the 220. Much easier to ride and more forgiving power. To each his own.

Here's the deal though. No one has asked the gentleman what he wants to do with the new bike. Ride trails with his buddies? Race? What kind or trails and terrain. Open fast trails, I'd opt for a newer bike with more modern suspension. Tight trails with less fast open stuff, the KDX is tough to beat. Truth is , it's 80% rider and 20% the bike so get whatever will make you really want to ride it next weekend, and the next and the next..........
javjacob

debating

Post by javjacob »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am mostly going to be riding trails and what not. I don't plan on doing any racing. The ride ability of the kdx is what is appealing to me along with the simplicity of the 2 stroke motor. Finger lakes in Columbia MO is one of the riding areas I ride at, to give an example. I have been eye balling the KTM 300xc but they are a bit pricey. What is a fair price for a really nice 01 KDX220? There is also a nice looking 95 KDX200 asking 1200. I can make an offer on either one.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

to simplify, the 200 is a bit more snappy in the higher rev range, and it revs farther. The 220 is more focused on low end torque. Mod either one and you can do whatever you want with either. Pretty much rock solid, and way more reliable than any KTM I have ever known. 95 - 06 are all the same bike so shop on condition, not year. 1200 for a 95 sounds good if it's clean and well kept. If you look at a 220 keep in mind you will want to put a forged piston in it first thing, so that will add to the purchase price.
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I ended up getting the 2001 KDX 220 for $1200. Can't wait to ride it tomorrow! I will start a thread and post some pics.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Change that piston ASAP. Seriously, like, before you take it out on a ride.
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

How do I know if it has the stock piston or aftermarket? The guy said the previous owner did the top end on it. Can I remove the pipe and check through the cylinder port?
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
KDXSPODE

Post by KDXSPODE »

I hit "quick reply" for a reason.
Yes!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It's pretty impossible to tell through the exhaust port. You really have to pop the head and look at the piston crown. We have another member who is currently dealing with a complete engine rebuild do to having bought a 220 which the previous owner claimed had a new top end with forged piston. That ended up being false, and the stock piston grenaded and left shrapnel in the bottom end.
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Looks like I will be getting a Wiseco piston and rings after I tear it apart and see the condition of the cylinder.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200