Greetings from Massachusetts

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Baron

Post by Baron »

I just registered to the forum and want to introduce myself. Hmmm...where to begin. I guess I should mention why I registered.
First off I'm not a dirtbiker or motocross rider. But I want to be. I had a 1980s Honda xr200r when I was around 18, I'm over 50 now. It was stolen after only one seadon of use. Probably a good thing. It never made it up steep sandpit walls due to lack of power, and each time it failed doing that I almost got buried under the sand as I tumbled down. The only reas
on I kept trying was because those green bikes flew right up and over. So 30 years later I bought one of those green bikes off CL.
Its a 1983 kdx250. Exactly like the one that could fly up and over the sandpit cliffs. Now all I have to do is restore it. Then find a sandpit and fly up and over the top with it. I'll practice alot first.
I'm very mechanically inclined and have rebuilt alot of kawasaki motors, just not kawasaki motorcycle motors. So maybe I might be able to make my dream come true.
I will post a picture of my project 1983 kdx250 if theres any interest. Once I pay the $10. I plan on doing it sometime this week, I want to support this site, its going to be of immense use to me.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Greetings from Massachusetts

Post by KDXGarage »

Man!

What a great story. Welcome to the forums. I hope you reach your goal.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Baron

Post by Baron »

Jason wrote:Man!

What a great story. Welcome to the forums. I hope you reach your goal.

Thank you for your encouragement. You are the first person to ever have wished me success in my dream of getting up, over, and out of the sandpit. Honestly, nobody gets it. They all wrinkle there foreheads and give me some reason not to waste my time with this dream of mine. Or they begin some stupid lecture on how bad dirtbikes are for nature, and usually ask me "whats wrong with you??" In my opinion a dirtbike trail in the woods is something beautiful. Better than a logging trail, better than a tar road or highway.
This dream or goal of mine has haunted me my whole adult life. If I see some sand on the road, the green bike pops into my thoughts. If I see any green like the kawasaki green bikes have, when I fix commercial mower engines made by Kawasaki, when I heara 2-stroke string trimmer rev up, I Immediately begin planning to get a green bike. And now I got one in the garage. I've already worn a spot on the seat from sitting on it. I have even begun talking to it. Don't worry...it has'nt spoken back yet. It just stands there like some battered and rusted medival green knight's steed in armor.
dualscotty

Post by dualscotty »

Nice story. I understand your goal and feelings towards the "green bikes". I'm in southern nh. hit me up when your ready to tackle that sand pit and I'll come down and root you on. I'll bring my bike as well and give it a try. Have a great day.
Baron

Post by Baron »

dualscotty wrote:Nice story. I understand your goal and feelings towards the "green bikes". I'm in southern nh. hit me up when your ready to tackle that sand pit and I'll come down and root you on. I'll bring my bike as well and give it a try. Have a great day.
May Jesus bless you. I will let you know when I'm ready to take on the sandpit wall. I plan on going over to the sandpit where it all began to take a picture of the trail that goes right up the pit wall. Nothings changed there for 30 years. Its near the MA NH border, and was some private guys sandpit back in the day. I want to print out a picture of the trail up the pit wall and nail it to my workbench during this kdx250 rebuild. I also am thinking of youtubing the whole rebuild. I just need to do this rebuild because it means everything to me now. My whole life went down the toilet over the last year. Lost everything...parents went dement,my son went certified insane, my wife took off, lost my job and my apartment, and have about 30 bucks to my name, my dog, a few t-shirts 3 pairs of pants, Jesus, and a 1983 kdx250!!! What else does a guy need? :grin:
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Great story and good luck with the rebuild. Please post up a build thread, I love seeing people rebuilding the bike and all the effort that goes into it.
Baron

Post by Baron »

Dekon wrote:Great story and good luck with the rebuild. Please post up a build thread, I love seeing people rebuilding the bike and all the effort that goes into it.
May Jesus bless you. I plan on posting a rebuild thread. I have always hoped that one day I would be in this position. I have watched hundreds of videos about engine repair over at youtube. And learned so much from threads. I just finished rebuilding a 2001 f350 7,3 diesel dually. Did the whole frame and engine, replaced everything. And I learned from the service manual , threads and youtube. I get to use that truck when I mow lawns. Thats what I do.
Its a big honor to be in this position where I can make a thread and videos for other people. Even mistakes that I'm sure I will make will be helpful to others...so they don't make them.
Baron

Post by Baron »

Just bought another bike to keep my kawasaki company. A 1993 suzuki rm250. I will also restore it too...now I know what I will be doing this winter :boogie:
Baron

Post by Baron »

Just giving a quick update. I bought yet another dirtbike! A 1996 rmx250.
So now my winter is just about all planned. Let it snow, I will be warm and covered in pre 1997 grease and oil.
I got super lucky with my 1983 kdx 250. It has the green 250 on the seat, just like I remember at the sandpit. Anyway thats not what made me lucky today...what made me lucky was I just got a cylinder jug for it. The top fin on the one I had was broken. The jug I just got is complete. Yiiippiee. Got the owner's manual too.
So...there really is'nt much more I need for the kdx250. Well...I need a throttle grip. Mines cracked where the cable screws in.
I'm going to tear it down completely and check everything and replace-repair anything worn. I'm looking forward to making a thread about it!!
Same with the rm250s. Got those two bikes because I dont like having more than 10 bucks in my wallet for some reason.
I will be posting pics once I donate to the website. I just have to stop ordering parts. And since parts are rare for this model I get torn between donating or buying parts. And buying dirtbikes.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Try to focus on one or you will end up with a group of half finished bikes.
Baron

Post by Baron »

Thats a good idea Jason. I still have about a month of work being a landscaper before I can start working on the restoration. My workplace-motocross pit is a one car garage. The 3 bikes practically fill it up. So you're right about doing one I bike at a time. If I took more than one apart the parts would get mixed up.
So far the kdx is the most comfortable to sit on. The kdx is also the easiest to move around due to the hand grips on the frame by the rear mud guard. Those handgrips are a great invention when moving it around. And the kdx engine looks alot cooler than the suzukis. It looks like godzilla because of the " mohawk hairstyle" looking fins on the cylinder head. When one looks at the reed intake port, and imagine it as a mouth, you'll see what I mean. Lol
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You will enjoy that RMX. I have a 95 RMX250 in addition to my KDX220 and KLX300. There are many days when I have to fight my sons for the RMX. Jason's advice is good, work on one at a time to completion. (that's how I have a garage full of GSX-R750s lol). Good luck, can't wait to see the video of you launching out of the sandpit!
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Jason wrote:Try to focus on one or you will end up with a group of half finished bikes.
Wish someone would have given me that advice :doh:
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you are a little cramped for room, keep in mind that taking a part bikes makes them grow outward in the amount of space required. It can add up quickly.