Hello from Eastern Tennessee

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Singlespeed92

Post by Singlespeed92 »

Hey all,nice to meet ya. I owned and loved an old air cooled KDX 200 back in the 80's (it was either an '86 or an '88,can't remember which,LOL) as a teen,but hadn't owned one since. Went about 10 years not riding (15 not riding trail/dirt) and got back into riding several months ago when I took a Honda Shadow in trade on a truck we were selling,and shortly after we bought another Shadow (a VLX 600,then an ACE 750)--didn't take long before I was missing dirt riding,and put the VLX up "For Sale or trade for dual sport",but it was taking longer than I'd hoped so I picked up a decent 1984 Yamaha XT250 to do me while looking. A few weeks ago,I finally traded that VLX for a KL250 Super Sherpa.

Anyways,it turns out that a good friend (and the head mechanic at my preferred local shop) had actually been looking at that same XT on CL (I didn't know when I'd bought it),and he was really interested in it since I was no longer riding it (I've been riding the wheels off the Sherpa though :razz: ),and wanted to know if I'd be interested in a '91 KDX200 he had just rebuilt the top end on (I know he'd done it,I was there while he was putting it back together :wink: )--"HECK YEAH!" I said,LOL! It needs a few minor things (regular wear and tear/maintenance stuff) and some cosmetics,but it's mechanically sound and came with receipts for every nut/bolt he'd put work into on it,and as of this evening,that fresh top end only has around 45 minutes break-in time on it. I'd seen a few white ones over the years and always liked em,which was part of my wanting it,but mainly because I've always been a fan of KDX's. A couple pics...

A lil about me. 43 year old dad to 2,husband to 1 for 24 years,"legally disabled Veteran" (I say it like that and always explain,spinal injuries did come on the job in 2001,but not service related as I served from 1991-1995. A co-driver wrecked me in an 18 wheeler in Utah in 2001,twice broken neck with damage all the way to the lower lumbar--could have been lots worse though,I live fairly active despite pain/issues with it obviously since I'm here,LOL,I coulda not even been here,so I don't complain when it flares up :) ). Grew up riding,starting on a Honda Passport scooter at 6 or 7,raced moto (and later as a teen hare scramblers too) from age 10 to about 26 (the accident happened when I was 28) and moved to road bikes for a while before selling everything to get started again after some financial troubles when I was forced out of work,and now you know....the rest of the story (for those old enough to remember the late Paul Harvey :razz: :lol: )

I do have one question about 1991 KDX's. During part of the engine break in while I was putting around at various throttle positions today,I noticed that with a full tank of fuel,on every turn/bump,etc fuel was leaking out around the gas tank cap,is there supposed to be some kind of o-ring rubber piece in the cap to seal the cap on the tank and prevent that? (if there is,mine's missing and that explains it)? Thanks in advance :)
1991 Kawasaki KDX200
2001 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa
2003 Honda Shadow ACE 750
2008 Honda CRF250X
KDXSPODE

Post by KDXSPODE »

Welcome!
And thank you for your service.

-=SPODE
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Hello from Eastern Tennessee

Post by doakley »

Yes, parts diagram shows what looks like a flat rubber gasket inside the cap. You might find something at a good hardware store or possibly just cut one out of a piece of flat rubber sheet. I never knew they made these in white, very different.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for your service.

Welcome to the forums. Congratulations on your purchase.

Yes, there is supposed to be a gasket inside the cap.

Cool to snag a white one!

Loosen the chain a touch, though!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JL4049

Post by JL4049 »

Welcome aboard! Regarding your gas cap, I had the same issue when I bought mine, it just so happens that the gasket from a 20l chemical drum fits perfectly
Singlespeed92

Post by Singlespeed92 »

Thanks guys :supz: On the gas leak issue,that's what I thought it might be,and glad it's something simple (inexpensive :wink: fixed incomes suck :razz: ),so I guess the simplest thing to do is order a new gas cap,or find one of those 20l chemical drums :)

I didn't get much chance to fiddle with it any today (and won't tomorrow),took my wife out for an early b-day dinner and shopping,changed the oil in her vehicle,helped my dad with some things around his house,and worked on a small utility trailer of his for me to use to haul the KDX to trail when we're finished with it (still needs working lights,so off to Harbor Freight tomorrow or Monday). LOL,I didn't need a trailer before with the Sherpa being street legal--and I really like that bike--but it's not really the trail bike the KDX will be when I get it broken in.

The trailer was what was left of a boat trailer (I think) that had been sitting for decades when dad bought it (it was only about half there) and built the rest of it for hauling his golf cart when they go on vacation (with camper),but since they bought a bigger truck this past year (the golf cart fits in the bed of the truck now) it'd just been sitting in the weeds,so he said I could freshen it up,and bring it home to use as long as I like.

1991 Kawasaki KDX200
2008 Honda CRF250X
Singlespeed92

Post by Singlespeed92 »

Ordered the gasket from Bike Bandit today :grin:
1991 Kawasaki KDX200
2008 Honda CRF250X