In search of a 20 year old fling...

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
KDXSPODE

Post by KDXSPODE »

Left home (92587) at 4:30 am. Drove 900+ miles, right at 14 hours to Avon Co with several stops along the way. Made contact with the seller. Still have 2 more hours to drive in the am. The bike is in Boulder. So far so good!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: In search of a 20 year old fling...

Post by KDXGarage »

Good luck! :please: :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXSPODE

Post by KDXSPODE »

After driving 19 solid hours yesterday, 2 more to the seller - then 17 back home, I rolled into my driveway at 1:32 am.. Just before the turnoff into my neighborhood a street geek pulls up next to me as I was doing about 50mph. He drops two gears and then stands the bike up. He wheelied next to me for about a mile looking over at me every so often just before I made a left into my community. I don't think my trip could have ended any better. :supz:

Later tonight I will give you a full report on the purchase and the bike condition. Gotta catch up with the home team as I have been gone all week working then my 2 days off driving. Let me tell you, it was worth the drive!

Peace..
KDXSPODE

Post by KDXSPODE »

Well, the search is over.

As many of you know a few weeks back I decided to get back into riding. I began my search using a website called http://www.bikefinds.com. I had several hit and misses the first few weeks. Then this one from Boulder Colorado popped up. The owner was telling me that it had an original 76 miles on it. Of course I did not believe that. The back story was that he and his dad bought two of them together. They trail rode a few times before he went off to college. After that it sat. Since returning he has not ridden it the last few years either.

I was happy to find that the bike was in excellent condition. I noticed in the pictures that it was not the oem rear fender. He explained that he had looped it once and broke the original. I only cared about having the tool pouch on the back. Luckily he still had the old broken fender. So I got the bag! The seat also had a small tear where it looked to me like they had a tie down over the seat during transport and it worked a small tear in the fabric. Other than that the bike is clean clean. I was also happy to see that the date code on the tires was from 05. So they are original. They still had full tread depth at the back of each knob on the rear tire and barely worn at the leading edge of the knobs. And the knobs themselves still had the little molding nipples on the edges. I was beginning to think that this bike could acctually have only 76 miles!.

All of the original documentation including the title and registration.

The frame paint is not even scratched. Just the plastic stuck on from the factory.

This is the rear tire. 2205 is the 22nd week of 2005 production date. Also you can see the molding nipple bases on the edges of the circled knobs.

Clean clean clean. (That wiring needs some attention LoL)

I spent time at the sellers house riding the bike and going over it very closely. It Started on the first kick. Before I started it I hit the bottom of the pipe just coming out the the head with my infared thermometer and it was dead cold. Just curious It felt rich to me but they are at 7000 feet. Other than that it ran great.

I am going to dump all of the fluids, Yank the carb and thoroughly clean and jet it for my needs, Do a compression test (because I am a nut), Swap out the chain and sprockets, go over every nut and bolt. Lube everything (yes, including the swing arm bolt), inspect and clean the powervalve if needed, inspect and lube the steering stem and axle bearings. Something about a labor of love?

Next stop. The trail!

This trip took me 45 hours and I drove just over 2100 miles. I spent $92 in food and $350 in gas. I paid $2000 for the bike. So the final bill is $2442.00 for the bike.
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by two-stroke-brit »

Looks like you found a clean and tidy example there.
what is your home elevation?
why change the chain and sprockets.?
mark
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Very nice !! Glad it ended well for you.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Very good!

Congratulations.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Dayam! That's one nice looking find. congrats
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Did he give you the WP manuals?? Those go with a KTM.
KDXSPODE

Post by KDXSPODE »

Thanks guys!

I will be riding from 700 to 1000 feet and occasionally 3000 feet depending on the location I choose. I would love your jetting recommendations!

I wondered why he gave me those WP manuals. LoL.

In regards to the chain and sprockets, The chain is 10 years old and covered in 10 year old grime. Every time I buy a bike I swap out the chain and sprockets....... Every time. Don't know why? I just like knowing that they are new. Plus, I am going to mess with the gearing a tad.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Soak the chain in kerosene, then scrub with a brass brush. Maybe it will clean up.

Look into an x-ring chain and Renthal Twinring or similar sprocket.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Very nice ! I'd say well worth the trip :)
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Very nice find. I drove 13.5 hours for one of my KDX's. I would not hesitate to do it again.

Some bikes, cars, etc. are worth the drive.
KDXSPODE

Post by KDXSPODE »

Finally!! I get to take my new baby for a ride!

Hard to believe but I have not even started this thing since I got it home from picking it up in Colorado. Just been super busy working and doing family stuff. In a couple weeks my nephew's riding group will be doing a 100 mi ride. Gas stops every 40 miles for guys with stock tanks. This ride is 4.5 hours away from me. Don't care just want to enjoy some riding with some good peeps.

I do plan to do a little shake down on the bike before I go. Tonight I yanked the carb and checked the jetting. It had a 148 Main and a 48 Pilot. The previous owner told me they had it "tuned" for the altitude. Well it looked to me like it ran rich, or the rider just lugged it every where. I know he also ran 32:1. I always go 40:1. Never had an issue.

It felt rich also when I rode it up there. It also did not want to idle. I did find that the pilot was clogged. And the carb had a good amount of old dried up fuel residue throughout. It also appeared that the float bowl gasket was weeping. Plus they had the air screw at 1.5 turns out. I believe that is not enough air at that elevation.

After tons of reading on this awesome site I am torn between decided to begin with a 155/45 or a 152/42 at the 800 foot level we will be riding at.

I ordered several variations of jets, a few plugs, and new gasket. So after they get here this week I will take this out here locally (roughly the same elevation) next Sunday for a few hours. to try and dial it in.. Hopefully I will get some pics and video?

Take care guys.
-=-SPODE
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Go one lower on the pilot, then ride and test. Adjust air screw as needed. Try to not do two changes at once. If you do two things at once, you won't know which one helped or hurt.