New KDX owner UK

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Hario

New KDX owner UK

Post by Hario »

Hi all,

Ive been lurking around the forum here for a while, but finally picked up KDX yesterday so figured it was time to introduce myself

I got into the idea of a KDX a while ago as ive been on the hunt for a reliable lightweight trail bike, but too many bikes in the garage meant it had to wait, but the KDX seems ideal for my uses

Ive owned some similar bikes; a premix gasgas pampera mk3, and a autolube honda crm250 and really wanted one of the japanese import autolube models of KDX as i do some quite long trail ride days, so jumped on a 1989 200SR that someone local was selling cheap

here she is

shes a bit rough cosmetically, but all the hard parts are in good shape and the engine seems spot on and has recently had a rebuild including the big end, so she will hopefully prove to be an easy project

The forks and shock are obviously not standard, the forks apparently are from a kdx250 (non adjustable :sad: ), and the ohlins shock is a total unknown at the moment. I did a quick search, am i right in thinking ohlins never made a kdx specific shock? since i don't know the bike im a bit worried about the suspension potentially being way off in terms of geometry and valving.

Do any of you KDX aficionados spot anything else on her non standard that i should look into?

Damn i love that E series look :lol:
cornishwrecker220

New KDX owner UK

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Hi Hario & welcome to the forum ! :grin:

There are a few of us brits on here ...where abouts in the UK are you from ?

Nice looking bike you have....I`d say the rear shock looks to be from a early (ish) 2000 GAS GAS as they are the right length & will fit straight on with very little work.

There are a few differences between the SR kdxs & that of the full enduro type...metal tank, smaller carb etc so bare this in mind when ordering certain parts as here in the UK it could be a problem.....the E series plastics however can be bought from MD racing in Yovil..they have listings on good old ebay & are stockists for UFO plastics :grin:

PS....is that a 19" rear wheel too ?? Also some of the imported SRs actually came with USD front forks albeit anodised blue.
Hario

Re: New KDX owner UK

Post by Hario »

Hey there, im just nextdoor to you in Devon! Im aware of the general SR differences, and not too worried as im often over in Japan so can bring back spares with me, the 19" wheel had totally slipped my mind though! Thats a pain as i like a trials rear so might need swapping out, mind you no great loss as these wheels have a horrible rattlecan black on them

Ill have a search for info on the shock, im a bit torn about whether to source the standard kdx parts or swap a better front end on and get the ohlins setup right, am going to worry about getting an mot first though