New Guy From Colorado My First KDX

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Rollingmenace

Post by Rollingmenace »

Hello everybody, my name is Zach new to the site. Not new to Riding have about 33years under my belt.. Currently living in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Been here over 20years originally from northern OHIO.
I currently ride track ,trails and dunes all over the state as well as parts of the western United States..
I ride a little of everything two , three , four wheels. I've been wrenching on bikes for as long as I've been riding it seemsMy main bike is a 99 KX250 .
I recently picked up an 89 kdx200 as a spare loaner and occasional dual sport ride. I'm excited to have it and I think I got a fair deal. Guy had it posted as a KX250 but I could tell right away from pics it was a Kdx . He bought to fix up and ride and never got to fix up stage so it just set it was supposed to run when parked. But who knows.. It had no clutch cable or handle and no kicker.. I schooled the guy about what he had pulled the spare kicker out of my pocket off my Kx gave it a few kicks to ensure it wasn't stuck and had decent compression and then bargained down the bike to the I don't know if it runs and am taking a risk price of $350
Rollingmenace

Re: New Guy From Colorado My First KDX

Post by Rollingmenace »

Long version lol.. Brought the bike home it needs new tires and tubes he threw in a decent front tire. It has some cracks in front and rear fender as well as a few small tears in seat cover. Needs shrouds. And some serious attention in the controls dept.
So I got her home pulled seat number plates and tank as well as airbox lid and old filter... I pulled the old plug and to my surprise the color on the plug looked decent nice toasted tan color ( I know it's not full proof since it has been sitting for so long but it is a good indication) so I threw a new plug in her and proceeded to pull the carb.. Pulled carb apart and thuroughly cleaned carb the pilot jet was really gummed in there.. I ended up replacing both pilot and main with new ones from my stash of keihin jets and really cleaned and blew out the carb.... Reinstalled on bike and hooked up to my custom Gatorade fuel tank.. Checked coolant and ensured it had trans oil. Filled the Gatorade tank and got fuel in bowl.. Pulled choke and kicked ... Voila on second kick she came to life and purred like a kitten... I am so stoked .. Got a little heat in her and shut it down... I then pulled the trans oil witch was questionable (little moisture most likely from sitting so long) topped her off with some new Bel Ray gear saver . I'll change out after 1st ride... noticed headlight inop (tail missing). Then went to ordering parts all new bars, grips , clutch cable , lever, throttle tube , and brake master and lever off a yfz450 ( for brake lamp switch) ,chain,(rear sprocket looks brand new) new rear tire and a set of tubes as well as some headlight bulbs.. I'm hoping the stuff gets here in time to take her on her maiden run this weekend
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Congratulations! Despite having quite a few years on it, it really doesn't look bad at all. (Looks like it hasn't been dropped/crashed much.) I'd pull apart the top end to check the piston/clean the power valve parts. The PV parts seem to be one of the only flaws on that model KDX.

I'm going from memory here, but I think if you buy the headlight bulbs as Honda or Yamaha parts they're quite a bit less expensive.

Where do you ride? I'm in Colorado Springs myself.
Rollingmenace

Post by Rollingmenace »

Thanks Jim .. I'm gonna put it on the trail and see how it feels may decide on a top end not sure yet.... I sourced the bulbs several places I think I ended up getting 2 bulbs for like 8$ to my door still a lil pricey but not bad...
Let's see as far as riding spots... My go to spot is 717 just because it's close... But locally I ride pmi in pueblo.. Penrose commons in penrose , rainbow falls ( going there this weekend) , and rampart.. Been to a couple spots in montrose grand junction area. Walden sand hills up north ... And Moab area at least once a year .. And other dunes in Utah and Arizona... Always up for finding new spots too...
Rollingmenace

Post by Rollingmenace »

If you have a Facebook search out one of my groups .. Colorado Springs Motocross & Trail Riders.. Decent size group with a good core of 8-10 guys who ride togethet a lot in groups from 2-10 or so riders.. We had 10 bikes up at 717 last weekend and my equipment payed the price...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums and nice KDX. Cool story on it cranking. :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Rollingmenace wrote:My go to spot is 717 just because it's close... Penrose commons in penrose , rainbow falls ( going there this weekend)...
I usually ride at 717; I was just there on the 4th. I've ridden a lot at Penrose (mostly in winter), but I've gotten REALLY sick of all the rocks over the years. I like Rainbow Falls, but I've only ever been there once. (Not really sure why, it's a good place to ride.) Once or twice a year I'll ride at Texas Creek and/or Seep Springs.

BTW, as Jason said, it's pretty cool it started right up with a bit of basic maintenance/repair. Any idea how long it sat?
Rollingmenace

Post by Rollingmenace »

.. Bike has been sitting since October..or at least October is last time it ran I don't know how long it set before that.. I should have all the rest of parts to get it fully tested and functional by this weekend or possibly beginning of next week..

We are riding rainbow falls this Sunday .. Meeting 915 at McDonald's in woodland.. Or rainbow falls parking area around 10.. If you would like to go