Titled 2003 KDX200H in WI

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
snowjob

Post by snowjob »

Greetings,

I finally picked up my first KDX and am really looking forward to it. It is pretty clean, seems to be mostly stock and well maintained with a few aftermarket parts sprinkled in.

It does show some signs of a previous more serious rider. The rear spring is blue, which I take to mean Race Tech. The airbox cover is long gone. It has an FMF pipe (though I am not sure which one) and pro-taper trials bars. The seller even included a new FMF muffler, pads, sprockets and chain.

After a quick look-over last night, I plan to change the air filter, install new chain & sprockets, install pads, buy some spare plugs, change the oil and loosen up the preload before my maiden ride on some tight single track. I expect to lower it, but will only start planning mods AFTER I have some seat time on it.

As an aside, I have owned many bikes, but only a handful of two-strokes. I am really looking forward to something that fits me and my riding well as I have gone through a number of bikes to single track that just didn't cut it. I especially like that this KDX costs 1/4 of the new Beta X-trainer, that I was also considering.

Will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the Freeride 350 I owned while overseas.
Bike history here: http://www.stacionis.org
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Titled 2003 KDX200H in WI

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

The shock spring is blue on my 99 KDX220 and I think it is stock. I would suggest you plan on greasing or probably replacing wheel, suspension and steering bearings, especially if the PO wasn't knowledgeable.
snowjob

Post by snowjob »

The last guy only owned it for 2 months as he broke a finger just after buying it. The guy before him had it at least 4 years and seems to have taken good care. When replacing the rear sprocket, the axle was not only clean, but freshly greased. Not a surprise given the new tires, but nice to see all the same. I have sent him a message to see if the springs are stock or aftermarket. The bike sits pretty high and the forks have race tech stickers on them (I know that means nothing, but it can't hurt to ask). Other items I noticed while working on it were the rubber gasket between pipe and muffler was split, the bash plate seems to be homemade and the airbox lid is not only removed, there is some removal of the top of the box on the sides. Still impressed with cleanliness and condition. I have decided to leave the FMF muffler off as I hear it is quite loud and not really any better than stock.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Sounds like a nice find for sure. Try to post up a picture of it.
snowjob

Post by snowjob »

Stupid Google Photos.....my photo above bombed again. Let's try one more time:

snowjob

Post by snowjob »

Why did I wait 42 years to find this bike? So far it seems perfect for my kind of riding. I feel a bit like I am riding a mountain goat around. Spent the last week at Hatfield McCoy trails in West Virginia and this think had no issues powering up the mountains.

One more pic attempt.

Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

BINGO! lol got it this time!

Very nice, bike looks to be in pretty good shape!

So you came from Wisconsin to ride Hatfield and McCoy!? I only live about 3 and half hours from those trails and still haven't made it out there yet! Which trail systems did you run? Did you feel like there were any places that were better to go to than others? I will make it out there one day!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Tyl3r wrote:BINGO! lol got it this time!

Very nice, bike looks to be in pretty good shape!

So you came from Wisconsin to ride Hatfield and McCoy!? I only live about 3 and half hours from those trails and still haven't made it out there yet! Which trail systems did you run? Did you feel like there were any places that were better to go to than others? I will make it out there one day!
3.5 hours huh.... that's not bad! Myself and some buddies are headed up to WV Friday morning to ride for the weekend..... my one buddy that organizes these trips goes up there every year along with a handful of the other people going. This will be the first time for my buddy Scott and I riding up there. From what I understand we won't be on Hatfield McCoy trails, but in the same area. We're renting a couple cabins at the Ashland Resort, and have had a few people drop out, so I think there was 5 spots left. Come on out this weekend and ride with us :grin: