another Aussie here

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
lankytim

another Aussie here

Post by lankytim »

G'day everyone. Nice looking site, great job with the PHP! I like this place already, this is a classic: :partyman:

Thanks to Trev for letting me know about this site and a fond "hello" to the familiar posters.

Well lock up your girlfriends and grab me a Foster's from the esky - there's another Aussie here now! When do we get our own riding area forum?!

A little about me: I'm a "rugged outback" type that likes romantic strolls along the beach, wearing a thong (LOL!) and a nice glass of merlot on sunset. Haha, nah, I'm a 23y/o electrical engineering dropout that likes messing around and tinkering with stuff, KDX definitely included. I'm also a part-time computer geek and I'm a full-time joker so you'll know not to take me too seriously. I have little-to-no riding skills on the dirt but that hasn't stopped me from having tons o' fun so far, most of which with my Katie, much of that spent picking it up.

I'm interested in meeting women aged 18-35 that are keen for... oh, wrong site. I look forward to lurking here, learning and contributing where I can. Once again, great job on the site layout!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Glad to see ya could finally make it LOL.... :rolleyes: I'm still trying to work out the time differences so I can catch the guys on the chat sessions. I'm sure you'll like it here and guess what ????? You can even say EBAY over here and not be nailed to a cross and crucified... Have fun mate.....

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

OK lankytim, help me out here...is Foster's REALLY popular in Australia???

The Foster's commercials we have in the USA make it seem like Foster's is the only thing Aussies drink. I can just see a corresponding commercial in Australia..."Budweiser...American for BEER". No wonder everyone hates us! :partyman:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Welcome there Lankman! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I think it depends on your state of origin. Forsters is big in South Australia (Adelaide), VB is Victorian Bitter popular in Victoria and the country over, XXXX is a Queenslanders favourite brew. As Im not too much of a beer drinker thats the best I can do for ya, Cmon Timmy help us out 'ere lol. I prefer Carlton Cold if no top dollar gin is available :partyman: .

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

wanaride wrote:OK lankytim, help me out here...is Foster's REALLY popular in Australia???

The Foster's commercials we have in the USA make it seem like Foster's is the only thing Aussies drink. I can just see a corresponding commercial in Australia..."Budweiser...American for BEER". No wonder everyone hates us! :partyman:
That's funny! Everyone I know and see drinks Miller LITE! If I can afford it... I drink Grolsch, I love green beer! I even set American beer in the sun to make it taste skunky! :lol: Green beer can be drank at higher temperatures than our pale ales... http://www.grolsch.com/
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You are all crazy. Corona Lite with a lime wedge. Of course.
But even better is to experiment with wheat beers. Always have a twist of lemon with a wheat beer though, it makes all the difference in the world. Unless of course you are eating pizza. Then a dark stout beer or ale will be the only choice, regardless of what CC says!!

Oh, did I say Hi yet? Welcome Tim. I've dealt with you Aussies before. We hire several as ski instructors over here and that's my background. All the girls request the accent for their private lessons! Ha!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Welcome!

It's good to have some upside down folks on the board to help with those weird katie-bikes!

Let the dodgy threads begin! ;)

Dark? Stout? Nah...it's gotta be a zin blush, don't it? Not that there's anything wrong with that!!

I think Guinness is a pale ale............

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

CC says "I think Guinness is a pale ale............", so you chew your brew eh?
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome aboard, lankytim!

I have heard that Australians hate Foster's.

Indawoods, I don't see how you can drink Grolsch. YUCK!

I have never heard of VB, XXXX or Carlton Cold. I love two Dos Equis beers (XX). Does that count as XXXX? :-)

skipro3, I will try to remember your wheat beer tip. I think they are nasty.

Again, welcome to the site, lankytim!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: chew

That or use it as a substitute for lacquer thinner in a pinch.

ex: Good 'ol Bud has in IBU rating of something like 12 (International Bittering Units).

The bitter I make has an IBU rating of close to 300.....but it DOES have rice in it!!

Just like Bud!! ;)

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Fosters is ok

But I prefer beer you can't see through :supz: :partyman:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
BJH
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by BJH »

Ah yes...beer that actually has a flavor.
Beers available in the US? I tend to prefer Killians, Guiness,Honey Brown, etc.
European beers? The best beers I've ever had were when I had to go to Germany and Luxembourg for work. Those guys really know how to brew beer. I had several and can't quite remeber all of the names. Kolsch and Warfsteiner stick out as winners though. Must have been all the Jager shots along with them. I actually had a Czech Budweiser while in Germany that was fantastic. And I'm not a Budweiser (US) fan. It was nothing like American Budweiser.
Mexican beer? Negro Modelo or Modelo Especial with a pinch of salt and a wedge of lime of course.
I absolutely refuse to drink diet beer (light beer). If it makes me fat so be it.
I'm fairly disappointed in American beers. I tend to prefer the oddball micro-brews. Shiner Boch being one of them. If I can find it. :partyman:
________
Colorado Dispensary
Last edited by BJH on 08:03 am Feb 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
BJH
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by BJH »

Oh...by the way. Welcome Lankytim. Glad to have you. And Merry Christmas!
________
Chevrolet townsman specifications
Last edited by BJH on 08:04 am Feb 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
lankytim

Post by lankytim »

Hi All,

thanks a lot for the warm reception. I've been on the road since I first posted so I've had a lot of beer conversation to catch up on. To answer your question about Foster's popularity, no, I don't know anyone else that drinks Foster's regularly. Sometimes they laugh at you at the liquor store if you ask for it. It's a shame. Like Trev said, it's usually VB, or XXXX if you're from the state of Queensland.

Everyone likes Corona, it's because there is no taste to dislike :lol: hence the essential citrus wedge.

All this talk of beer... I'm off to tinker with my Katie, draw a beer from the keg tap and enjoy my warm Christmas day in the pool. Merry Christmas everyone, hope you have a good family/friends day and that your Christmas stockings were filled with whatever new trick parts your moto required.

By the way - culture question: I get the impression that most of the US folk stop riding altogether in winter?! Is it because it snows everywhere, or did I just get the wrong impression?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Merry Xmas to you Timmy (and everyone else too). My sis actually lives in Bellbird Park about 15 mins from where your at. I got my last tattoo in Browns Plains about a year ago.

To answer your winter question, from what I know (which aint alot) there a a few parts over there that don't see snow. I think Texas would be one but like I said Im only guessing really. Like your saying though it does seem they like a bummer over there come winter time. Let it snow. let it snow, let it snow................. Sorry guys but I dont even know what snow looks like. :lol:

BJH
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by BJH »

Lanky,
No Americans don't quit riding in the winter. At least not southern Americans. Some of the yankees (northerners) do quit riding in the winter because it gets just too damn cold and snows alot.
I still ride my KDX and my Harley all through the winter. I live in North Carolina so the temperatures don't get too cold and we rarely ever get snow to speak of.
Up north where it tends to get 5 to -10C and 30cm of snow fairly regular it makes it difficult to ride. They just switch to snowmobiles :shock:
________
Vaporizer Guide
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

lankytim wrote:....culture question: I get the impression that most of the US folk stop riding altogether in winter?! Is it because it snows everywhere, or did I just get the wrong impression?
Depends on where you reside.... I live in the midwest part of the US which is about right in the middle, maybe a hair east north and it has 4 seasons. Right now it is about 10 degrees Fahrenheit out and that converts to -12.222221 Celsius I believe. and it will get as cold as -20 Fahrenheit or so between now and March. February is the worst month. So, it is not the snow... It's the cold. The ground is hard as asphalt and will tear you up not to mention lack of traction because of the frozen leaves that are slicker than snot. My riding season is from mid-March to around the beginning of November. Usually that is..... Most of the time we get a break in January where we get what we call an Indian Summer for a few days, which is a warm snap where it will get to 60 fahrenheit or so and we can go play then!
Last edited by Indawoods on 10:01 pm Dec 24 2004, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

BJH
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by BJH »

I guess the best way to explain it is this. Click on the link supplied below. Most people above the green zone shut down for the winter. It shows the average minimum temperature over several years during a winter. NOT the average temperature.
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html
________
7g-tronic
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Love the pics Lank man! Every tow vehicle over there have a snorkel and a tarp? Aussies love their tarps don't they? :lol: Looks like a whole other world down under... I would love to ride there! Post some more pics when you get them...

BTW... what's a drop bear? :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****