another Aussie here

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
lankytim

Post by lankytim »

You can fix anything with a tarp, duct tape and 3 cable ties - that's why we love them. That tarp you see was covering our provisions for 4 weeks of remote camping, riding and drinking (well, we stopped for fuel and beer when we could find it). The pics are from the Cape York peninsula which is in the most north-east part of our country (for my friends in the USA) but even in that area the vegetation and terrain changed quickly. No desert though. I'll throw some more pics up sometime soon.

Can we start a riding exchange program? See, I'd like to ride some of those North American woods that I see pictured here and there...

Oh, drop bears? They're one of the dangers in the Australian bush (woods) they are similar to a koala but much more ferocious and they live high up in eucalyptus trees. They kill their prey by dropping out of their perch onto their (prey's) unsuspecting head. A trick I learnt: if you suspect a drop bear is above your camp, lie under the tree and spit up at it - if there is a drop bear up there it will spit back at you, then you should most definitely shift campsite.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Riding exchange sounds great! I'm all for that when you start talkin' land masses! The most we have here in Illinois is hissing squirrels! :lol: I don't know if you got them Down Under but their like a rat with a fluffy tail.(Everybody has rats!) Oh and uh 'coons... racoons by their full name... now those little guys can tear you up if you mess with 'em! Your trees just look funky, nothing like ours. What kind of trees are those? We have mostly Maples, Elms, Sycamores and Pine trees. Anyway... looking forward to some more pics whenever you get em posted.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

lankytim, LOL! I will be sure to watch out for a dropbear spitting on me!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
lankytim

Post by lankytim »

Well I posted some more pics. I only have a few on my laptop - most of the hundreds we took on the trip are on an archive somewhere far away from me so there weren't a lot of riding pics I could put up. Sorry if it's turned into a bit of an eco-tourism campaign, Indawoods: delete the pics if they're inappropriate or wasting space.

Mate I have no idea about what the trees are. I'm not lankybotanist, I'm lankytim. There are a lot of eucalypts (we call them gum trees) of various types and all types of grass plants and palms and stuff. A lot of Australia is very dry so our trees tend to be, well, lanky with spindly leaves so they don't evaporate too much water or something. A lot of our flora relies on the occasional bushfire (wildfire?) to regenerate and crack open seed pods, so sometimes our trees just look dead. I dunno what a sycamore looks like and I don't think we have any maples or elms. Hey, maybe we do!

Those spun out knobbly fat trees that our bikes are leaning against were about 50m from the ocean, a lot of the other photos were taken somewhat more inland.

A hissing squirrel huh? Are they like a ferret or a weasel or something? We got these cute little things called sugargliders that are about the size of a big mouse and they have flaps of skin on their sides that they use to glide out of trees and a big fluffy tail. They look real harmless but once I came into contact with one and ran away screaming and bleeding. The damn thing shredded my hands up then scurried about my body and bit a hole in my a$$ (through my jeans). Glad it bit me from the behind rather than through the front.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Awesome pics Tim...

Here's a pic of your typical native Illinois squirrel:

Gotta keep your beer covered too because they carry straws!
Maybe use a tarp!
:lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "