kx d motor swap

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Bobino Battleax

kx d motor swap

Post by Bobino Battleax »

Has anyone done a motor swap with a kx? I know the original kdx motor was an offspring of the kx 125 in the '80's, and that the 125/250/500 frames were similar for several years. It sounds like the 240 kit is not well liked, and leads to cooling and jetting problems, how complicated would it be to put a kx250motor in with say a stealthy weight, and a rewound stator, or even a 500 motor and just tell the rest of the world to kick rocks? I'm looking to create a monster with my ca plated '95. Not trying to destroy the awesomeness of the kdx, I currently have 3, justtrying to make peeps go wtf....
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: kx d motor swap

Post by diymirage »

yeah, its been done once or twice

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=111
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Pinned

Post by Pinned »

Bobino Battleax wrote:or even a 500 motor and just tell the rest of the world to kick rocks? I'm looking to create a monster with my ca plated '95. Not trying to destroy the awesomeness of the kdx, I currently have 3, justtrying to make peeps go wtf....
Ok then, you have three of them, so the 500 is where it's at. Steel frame. Swap in whatever the hell you want, doesn't matter if it fits now, fab is easy.

While you're at it, might as well stiffen it up with some USD's, toss on a set of 17's, and sumo the bitch. Everyone will be saying wtf, particularly you. Thinking of this honestly has my pants fitting a bit tighter in the upper frontal region.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

We usually put the KDX engine in the KX frame, because the KDX engine is so flippin' awesome. Sure you could go the other way. Fitting a 250 or 500cc motor in the KDX frame will probably require a new or transplanted engine cradle. A 125 would fit handily, but would not be as much fun or have as much potential as the 200 does.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Pinned wrote:
Bobino Battleax wrote:or even a 500 motor and just tell the rest of the world to kick rocks? I'm looking to create a monster with my ca plated '95. Not trying to destroy the awesomeness of the kdx, I currently have 3, justtrying to make peeps go wtf....
Ok then, you have three of them, so the 500 is where it's at. Steel frame. Swap in whatever the hell you want, doesn't matter if it fits now, fab is easy.

While you're at it, might as well stiffen it up with some USD's, toss on a set of 17's, and sumo the bitch. Everyone will be saying wtf, particularly you. Thinking of this honestly has my pants fitting a bit tighter in the upper frontal region.
Honestly think the longer-wheelbase KX500 stock chassis is a better platform for this than any KDX.
Pinned

Post by Pinned »

Yes, but he's in Cali. His KDX has the title.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Bobino Battleax

kx d motor swap

Post by Bobino Battleax »

Thanks everyone... I'm still looking for a donor 500, found a plated one but it sold ba bam. Maybe then I wouldn't have to swap it haha.