Supermoto

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
seniorsehas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Supermoto

Post by seniorsehas »

I've been lurking around this site for years and never posted since most my questions were already answered. Now I'm turning the 95 kdx200 into a "supermoto" (hopefully it will be at least a little super) and I'm hoping to get some advice from the people who daily drive these things or have a sumo setup.

Main questions are as follows
1.) I have stock suspension. Planning a swap. What's an optimal setup and what spring rates have been used successfully?
2.) My stock speedo was removed by others. What would I need to get a digital speedo? Was the stock mechanical or electrical?
3.) Tire sizes? I've got Warp9 3.5 and 4.25 rims coming that I'll be lacing up to an extra set of stock hubs.
4.) Useful lighting tips?
5.) Big Brake kits? Are they worth it or just cool?

I'll likely daily drive this about 15 miles to work on 50mph or less roads. I have an R6 race bike that I get my ass kicked off by the supermoto guys at the go kart track so I'll probably track this a couple times a month.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Supermoto

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Welcome dude!! And hell yea on the sumo setup :supz:

I just saw your comment on my other post.... Not ignoring you, I'm at work and it's a lot to type out on my phone, lol. When I get home though I'll hook you up with some info

But yea sumo is soooooo much fun!

hbgod

Re: Supermoto

Post by hbgod »

Get a vapor trail tech computer. It comes with a digital pickup for the speedo you just have to program the tire size. Also has temp sensors and watnot.
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

Also if you go to my bike build i did all my wiring by hand. Its an enduro not a sumo but alot of the other stuff is the same such as the electrical
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

So this will be a bit tough. The KDX is meant to be a trail riding tractor, and that it is. Supermoto is a whole other ballgame. you're going to want to stiffen up the suspension quite a bit. I'd say that should be priority 1. The rest of the bike is pretty much up to the task, but the stock suspension will get you hurt at high speeds on paved roads. I'll try to answer this point for point tomorrow, but as of now, it was trivia night at the local brewery, and my answers would probably be mostly useless.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Supermoto

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Yea I was gonna say, I would definitely do the KX fork swap first.... It does help stiffen it up some. And gives you more wheel choices too