new here, questions

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
mrcsbud2

new here, questions

Post by mrcsbud2 »

Hey everyone I'm new to this place and have some questions about the kdx line!

Currently I'm looking around for bikes and for some odd reason the Kdx 220 sparked my interest.

Brief history on riding: I've always been a quad guy, I have raced quads out west for fun in the open desert, to gps for fun but since becoming an adult and getting back into the sport I've reAlized to own and race atvs is very very expensive. Prior to buying another atv I had a short time on a dirtbike (05 yz250f) and I liked the bike alot. Fast forward to today and I now have nothing to ride but am thinking of getting two wheels here soon. So my question is this

Is the kdx 220 able to handle the desert? Everything from rocks,hills,sand,open desert, maybe even hitting up a gp?

Am I too big for the kdx, I am 6'0 212lbs but usually stay around 200lbs (bulked this winter for powerlifting reasons)

And how reliable are the bikes?

Other bikes I'm looking at are xr 400s or 00-01 Cr 250s.

I have a thing for the simple layouts of bikes like the kdx and xr type models BTW. Thank you!
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

new here, questions

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Welcome to the forum! :grin:

The KDX in a nutshell.... will do pretty much anything. Except maybe MX..... not really what it was made for. I can't speak from personal experience in the sand, but rocks, hills, etc... it's perfect. KDX is a freakin tractor..... not as much top end or raw power like the MX 250 2 strokes that have that "rip your arms off" kind of power, but a crap ton of bottom end low-mid range power. It's not a high revving high strung bike, you can lug it around all day long and it's perfectly happy (and as long as your jetting is right, it will not foul a plug). Like i said, it's a tractor.... it'll climb up and over anything. It'll climb a tree if you let it, lol

I wouldn't think you're too big for it..... I've got a buddy that rides a KDX and he's bigger than you and he does just fine. i'm about 5'11" and 165 lbs and it does me just fine.

And reliable?? Uhhhh..... YES!! They're like the Honda Accord of dirt bikes, hahah. Probably about one of the most reliable 2t dirt bikes on the planet (like an XR is in the 4 stroke world). Take good care of a KDX and it'll run pretty much forever. I bought my 2000 200 used in March of last year, I asked the guy I bought it from if he ever rebuilt it or knew if it had been done, he said "I've rode it for 2 years and haven't done a thing to it other than maintenance". Since then I've logged approx 327.5 hours and about 4500 miles. And I too haven't done a damn thing to it. It still starts on the first kick hot or stone cold, has 170 psi compression, and runs like new.... smooth as butter. My bike is tagged and I ride it on the street as a supermoto, as well as in the dirt. I've done 200+ mile days on the street before and it didn't even give so much as a hiccup. They are amazingly reliable bikes! I've actually had to use my KDX to tow several buddies bikes out of the woods when they blew up

As far as the other bikes you mentioned..... XR-400 is a fantastic bike too! Also amazingly reliable, just a little heavier and being a 4 stroke, it's gonna be harder to start, especially hot. CR-250 is great but it's a beast in the woods, lol...... top ends and everything aren't gonna last as long as the KDX though. I have a buddy that has an '01 CR-250 that I ride with quite a bit..... we'll sometimes switch bikes, and while I like the CR, I'm always happy to get back on my bike, lol. He always comments how much he loves riding mine too, lol. Sooooo much smoother and more comfortable all around

Goooood luck in your bike search!
KdxRidinGrandpa

new here, questions

Post by KdxRidinGrandpa »

Hey all I'm an old new guy here. Been away from trail riding for a few years due to lack of a bike. I'm 47, just picked up a 99 kdx200 for $1100. My last bike was a 96 xr 600r, used to throw it around the woods all day till second rebuild crapped out. Anyway took kdx to local ohv area and all I have to say is "Luv me some kdx". I can't believe how much energy I wasted on that XR. I never really paid much attention to these bikes but im finding this green machine is built like a tank and nimble as can be. Best woods bike I have ever ridden. I really put it through its paces even submerged it once (heck of a story there). I'm all about making my machines better, stronger, and faster and this seems to be the place to get info and insight from experienced kdx riders. Thanks for having me and I hope I may have info to share as well.

Dave
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: new here, questions

Post by 6 Riders »

Welcome to the forums. Where are you from?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. Congrats on the KDX.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

I'm not a skinny dude either I am 205. My 96 KDX before the rb carb and head mod was good for my size and now that I have the mod it is amazing. It picks up the front wheel in 3rd all day long and if you find the second sweet spot with the air screw its crazy. I picked up the wheel in 4th with my fat ass on it. its a great bike so is the 400 but I don't think the 400 has personality like a sweet running smoker does. I never worrie about my kdx leaving me in the woods either. Like I said the RB MODS ARE GREAT! I let my buddy ride it and he thinks I'm lying about it being a 200, it is defiantly better the my 250 was out of the hole. and in the trails. Get the KDX.
If you had a choice to date supermodels for the rest of your life or ride dirt bikes, would you choose a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?