New kid from Miami, FL

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
SOLEdier

New kid from Miami, FL

Post by SOLEdier »

Hello fellow KDX220R riders

So I'm not new to the off-road scene but I have been out of the scene for a while. I had a 03 Suzuki z400 for my 1st bike a couple years back. Since then I've just had a xr50 that I just recently put a big bore kit on (Still battling to get it running)

Well now present day. I've been itching for a bike for a while so I did my research. I wanted something 2 stroke, reliable and with some decent power. So I ended up getting a 04 kdx220r that was in a dealer in Daytona.

The bike has tasteful mods:
-Fmf Gnarley pipe
-Fmf turbine core2 silencer
-Magura clutch
That's all I can name really.

So once I got the bike I had to change the gas immediately. It was dam near black. Put a 32:1 mix of benol, I'll run that for a while.

I've ridden it maybe 3/4 times after the gas mix. The last time I rode it, the end of the power band started to drop and the bike would shut off...so now I will be looking into that.

But I'm glad as of now to have this bike. I need to look into a few things to make sure it's at or close to 100%

I will try to get some pics up soon
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New kid from Miami, FL

Post by Tedh98 »

If it still has the stock cast piston, remove that ASAP.
SOLEdier

Post by SOLEdier »

I haven't cracked her open yet so I'm not to sure.

What about the power band on these bikes? I hear the pop but not to much bam in the power lol I feel it more 1st and 2nd gear
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Forget everything else and swap out that piston, seriously.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SOLEdier

New kid from Miami, FL

Post by SOLEdier »

So I did some reading and you guys are serious about the piston issue huh.

My question is, would a compression test show if the piston needs to be changed? Or what can help me with that before I tear down the motor
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

New kid from Miami, FL

Post by Sullyfam »

Compression test will not tell you anything about the piston, only how well the piston rings are sealing.

Even if you take off the top end and the piston "looks" fine, I would change it for piece of mind and getting a good starting point for forward maintenance.

As for the powerband, I would (while you have the top end off) clean the KIPS, clean the carb and check the reeds. And to the extent you haven't done so already - new spark plug and clean filter.

All are easy to do and it will save you time troubleshooting any performance issues after it's all back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk