New to Riding and the KDX

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
FraggyKDX

New to Riding and the KDX

Post by FraggyKDX »

Hello All,

I'm new to riding and I'm excited to start out on a KDX. I managed to find a mint 2004 220 with around 10 total hours on the bike. A little about myself is I'm an engineer at a offroad recreational vehicle company and have enjoyed riding SxS's, ATV's and snowmobiles. I currently reside in Minnesota and look forward to getting on the many single track trails in the area.

Here's the bike!
Mnmonster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New to Riding and the KDX

Post by Mnmonster »

Welcome!

That KDX looks brand new!

Where in MN are you?
FraggyKDX

Post by FraggyKDX »

The KDX is brand new. I'm up in Thief River Falls soon to move to St. Cloud in July.
offshoretitan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by offshoretitan »

Great looking bike! I have the same year model and have enjoyed it immensely. This forum has a wealth of knowledge to help you maintain and enjoy your KDX - search, read and learn (and make a donation to help keep it ad-free and going strong). A very common theme you'll see in the 220 posts is problems with the OEM piston. They are prone to have piston skirts crack, dislodge and destroy engines. Do yourself a favor and install a new piston before you ride. It's very tempting not too because the bike is running great, etc. I bought a similarly low hour bike and rode it a little before taking this forum's advice. When the OEM piston came out it had a significant crack in the skirt but was still in one piece. It could have literally let go at any moment and done significant damage. I was lucky...

Welcome to the forum!

Oh, and buy a manual!
FraggyKDX

Post by FraggyKDX »

offshoretitan wrote:Great looking bike! I have the same year model and have enjoyed it immensely. This forum has a wealth of knowledge to help you maintain and enjoy your KDX - search, read and learn (and make a donation to help keep it ad-free and going strong). A very common theme you'll see in the 220 posts is problems with the OEM piston. They are prone to have piston skirts crack, dislodge and destroy engines. Do yourself a favor and install a new piston before you ride. It's very tempting not too because the bike is running great, etc. I bought a similarly low hour bike and rode it a little before taking this forum's advice. When the OEM piston came out it had a significant crack in the skirt but was still in one piece. It could have literally let go at any moment and done significant damage. I was lucky...

Welcome to the forum!

Oh, and buy a manual!
I was honestly unaware of the piston issue, what size is the stock bore on the 220? I'm looking at pistons now.

Thanks
Chadwick
FraggyKDX

Post by FraggyKDX »

Went ahead and ordered the wiseco kit off of amazon along with the gasket set and bearing. Also decided to get the delta force 3 reeds as well.
Corey

Post by Corey »

Nice find!!! That's almost unheard of to score a KDX with low hours on it. I purchased the Delta Force 3 reeds/block and swapped out my woods pipe with a brand new FMF desert pipe, rejetted the carb and whoaa what a difference with the two mods! Noticed crisper throttle response as well as having a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground :lol: I don't know how the 220 will respond with a desert pipe but certainly the reeds will improve throttle response. I have a '96 KDX200. Congrats again on your score!
FraggyKDX

Post by FraggyKDX »

Corey wrote:Nice find!!! That's almost unheard of to score a KDX with low hours on it. I purchased the Delta Force 3 reeds/block and swapped out my woods pipe with a brand new FMF desert pipe, rejetted the carb and whoaa what a difference with the two mods! Noticed crisper throttle response as well as having a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground :lol: I don't know how the 220 will respond with a desert pipe but certainly the reeds will improve throttle response. I have a '96 KDX200. Congrats again on your score!
Thanks Man, I'm looking forward to riding it out stock minus the reeds this year then I'll look to start upgrading next year.
FraggyKDX

Post by FraggyKDX »

I managed to get the piston swapped, liquids drained and reeds replaced. Now I'm swapping the handlebars and adding my street legal accessories.

Does anyone know if I can wire my new LED taillight directly into the electrical harness or do I need a regulator?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

FraggyKDX wrote:I managed to get the piston swapped, liquids drained and reeds replaced. Now I'm swapping the handlebars and adding my street legal accessories.

Does anyone know if I can wire my new LED taillight directly into the electrical harness or do I need a regulator?
Wire it direct.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type