New to riding, new KDX 220

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

I turn 54 this week, so I figured it was time for a new hobby. I've never ridden a motorcycle, but a friend was trying to talk me into riding. He has multiple bikes, including his second KDX. I rode his KDX a month ago, and with his help I bought this 1999 KDX 220 from Craigslist for $900. It is kind of rough, but the plan is tear it down to the frame, inspect, new top end, get new parts where needed, rebuild. My friend has rebuilt dirt bikes multiple times. On the other hand, I am a computer scientist :shock:. Here is the day I bought her.
A week ago I helped my friend tear down his KDX (my training session). And now after two evenings of work (by myself, no help), this is my bike. I will get the swing arm and shocks off tonight.
I'll help him rebuild his bike, and then we'll see how much work I can do on rebuilding mine on my own. I'm sure I'll need help. With any luck in a few weeks I'll be riding (I mean learning to ride) my good-as-new KDX 220.
david

Re: New to riding, new KDX 220

Post by david »

Welcome, congrats, and good job. The great thing about the way you are going about it (vs buying a new bike) is that you will know your bike inside and out which is a huge plus when your in the woods, miles away from your truck.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

That's part of the plan. A lot of my interest was learning the wrenching. It really helps my friend is around to help if needed. I'd never have the confidence to do this 100% on my own.

The other big bonus over a new bike is when the rebuild is done, it will literally be "good as new." But I should only have about $1,400 into the bike.
Last edited by ronopolis on 09:06 pm Mar 17 2016, edited 1 time in total.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

ronopolis wrote:I turn 54 this week, so I figured it was time for a new hobby. I've never ridden a motorcycle, but a friend was trying to talk me into riding. He has multiple bikes, including his second KDX. I rode his KDX a month ago, and with his help I bought this 1999 KDX 220 from Craigslist for $900. It is kind of rough, but the plan is tear it down to the frame, inspect, new top end, get new parts where needed, rebuild. My friend has rebuilt dirt bikes multiple times. On the other hand, I am a computer scientist :shock:. Here is the day I bought her.
A week ago I helped my friend tear down his KDX (my training session). And now after two evenings of work (by myself, no help), this is my bike. I will get the swing arm and shocks off tonight.
I'll help him rebuild his bike, and then we'll see how much work I can do on rebuilding mine on my own. I'm sure I'll need help. With any luck in a few weeks I'll be riding (I mean learning to ride) my good-as-new KDX 220.
This is one of the most awesome introduction posts, ever. Congrats on trying something new, and your willingness to drop right in, tear it down, and get started. Really that's pretty cool !

Get plenty of elbow/knee protection, and some bark busters. A skid plate would be a good idea too, the bottom of the engine is pretty thin.

Congrats, and keep us updated :)
MarioM3

Post by MarioM3 »

Congrats! And good job. Is this the bike that had the ad that was funnier than hell?

Mario
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Lookin good
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Enjoy, have fun and look forward to updates.
[emoji110]Braaaap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

MarioM3 wrote:Congrats! And good job. Is this the bike that had the ad that was funnier than hell?
You mean the Craigslist ad with selling points like:

...AND some sick skull schrader valve caps that'll be sure to catch the eye of all the shorties... That is if they could even see you blow by on this two stroke fury of two-wheeled Armageddon!!

This demon of a bike can take hit after hit and be ready for more every time. The fun never stops because its got a freaking headlight! WHAT!? That's right, the only time you'll ever have to stop this adrenaline-rocket is to refuel its 2-1/2 gallon touring tank, or when you are nothing but a wind-blasted husk of bruises, blisters, and branches.

This bike is so awesome it said "I can do everything those wussy four stroke bikes can do, but I'll do it with two!" You heard right! You get all the sweet advantages of a two stroke engine like, low maintenance, less weight, that wicked awesome Tie-Fighter noise, and a roided out power-band that proves you can ride a motorcycle like a real man!

Yep, that's what I bought. And yes it really did come with Skull valve caps, which I'm keeping as a tribute to the previous owner.
MarioM3

Post by MarioM3 »

Haha, yep that's it. That's awesome. I would have liked to talk to the previous owner, I bet he was a character.

Mario
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your purchase!

Good luck on the rebuild.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

This is awesome! I like your "all in" style! I'm thinking this whole story needs to be in a magazine when you're done. Way cool.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

19Delta wrote: I'm thinking this whole story needs to be in a magazine when you're done.
I was thinking I might set up a camera and do a time lapse video of the rebuild. I literally have a bare frame in my garage, so it could be fun to see a bare frame grow into a KDX200 in a 3 minute video.

My friend helped me remove the swing arm and forks (they were uncooperative). And then we got busy with the engine. I was mostly in over my head at this point, but I'm learning. I'm really lucky this is his 3rd KDX to work on (although he's making do as much work as possible, so I actually learn something)

I've already ordered the various bearings I need, the top-end kit etc. Time to start cleaning everything while I wait for parts to come in.

I appreciate your words of encouragement.
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

That would be a cool video!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk