Newbie looking to get another bike, Possibly the KDX

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
riding4life162

Post by riding4life162 »

Howdy guys, Names Ray, I'm looking to get another bike, I have a KTM 500 EXC already, But I want something a bit lighter and smaller for three reasons, (1) Putt along with my son who's 9 years old, and (2) I have a back and knee injury that just kills me after a day of riding the KTM 500 on the trails. So I have been looking into the KDX 200, the KTM 200 XC-w and maybe a KTM 250. I'm 6 foot 4.5 inches and 250 pounds (113 Kilos). I sure the KDX will work as a putter with the kids, so just looking to see if the bike will work as a competent trail bike in mountainous regions for my height, weight and overall use. Thanks for reading!
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bushx »

While not quite your stature (I'm 6', 200lbs), mine works well for me. I believe the shock is stock, and I was able to get sag set so it works well as a single track bike. The forks must have been reworked by the previous owner, as they were stiff as f**k, but, removing the preload spacers and cutting, leaving about 5mm of preload, I was able to get good sag numbers in the front for my weight. From what I've read, the stock forks are soft, so for a guy your size you'll possibly want to at least change the springs. With that done, it's a blast in the rocky rooty mountain single track.