New KDXer.

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New KDXer.

Post by Friedom »

Hey all! I've been a dual sporter for awhile, but find myself wanting more technical terrain and less weight on my bike. I started around 20 years ago on a 76 kd125, then after fixing it got 15 years I finally got the hint that it wasn't a good fit. Had a 79 kd175. Cool bike, gave it away in an attempt to get away from my obsession.
We see how well that worked. Fast forward through a klr600, klr250, dr250, it250 (2x), xt350, xr400, dr350 (3x).
I guess you could say I kinda like fixing bikes. .

And I came across a legendary kdx200e for a great price!
Then it sold before I got ahold of the seller.
Then another one came up! For an even better price! I didn't care too much about details, he said it had good compression and a spark, but beefed the carb cleaned. :boogie: that's easy!

So 3 hours of driving and $200 later, I'm the proud owner of this poor thing. Both tires shot, fenders rattle caned, kick start looks "custom"(doesn't swivel in?!), no title, no headlight or tail light, leaky forks and shock, bent up right rad and guard(but doesn't leak), and the best part? Engine stuck. Kicker won't move it, rolling it in gear won't either. Shifts through all gears well, though, so I think we're good.. :rolleyes:

I've got a big shopping cart of parts ready to order, but I want to make sure the engine will be usable. Looks like most of it had a horrible life, but motor itself is pretty clean.

My plan is to open up the top end, look for obvious issues, get the cylinder measured and hopefully put in a wiseco piston/top end set.

Oh, and it came with a pipe, which was worth the price of the whole bike. No silencer though.

I just saw the article on what to do with your new bike, and am working my way toward the list, but any other feedback you guys have is welcome. Pictures to come! :shock:

I hope this is a fun bike. Never rode one before :please:
Bdub200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New KDXer.

Post by Bdub200 »

Congrats on joining the KDX family. I had a couple XL 600 dual sports and made huge the switch to a KDX 200 for tight woods riding. It's a great light weight flickable toy that accelerates awesome! I also work on lot's of bikes, and if this one has a good motor then I would go for it. But if the motor is seriously warn would personally look for an cleaner lower miles KDX. Swap the pipes and sell the tired bike? Just an option based on the cost to fix the existing toy and deal with a title issue.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: New KDXer.

Post by Friedom »

Bdub200 wrote:Congrats on joining the KDX family. I had a couple XL 600 dual sports and made huge the switch to a KDX 200 for tight woods riding. It's a great light weight flickable toy that accelerates awesome! I also work on lot's of bikes, and if this one has a good motor then I would go for it. But if the motor is seriously warn would personally look for an cleaner lower miles KDX. Swap the pipes and sell the tired bike? Just an option based on the cost to fix the existing toy and deal with a title issue.
Hey! I was tempted to jump on a cheap xr600 that popped up recently, but really don't want the bulk. It was a dual carb model, too!

I've got almost all the parts ordered or arrived ready to install, and the engine cases are about to split, crank rebuilt, parts soda blasted, cleaned and replaced as needed. The price is going to come out pretty close to buying a good one, but this way I'll know EXACTLY what condition things are in.
And I will have the fulfillment of conquering one of my dragons - an engine split.
Titles for old bikes are a pain, but I've done it 5+ times, so it's a familiar drill. AZ is very lax on titling laws, sometimes I think I should just buy bikes, bonded title them and sell them in hard-to-title states!