New trail rider, Indianapolis

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
jsjamboree
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New trail rider, Indianapolis

Post by jsjamboree »

Been riding minibikes since I was about 5 years old, been riding street bike for the last 10 years, of which time Ive been rebuilding vintage bikes, mostly 2strokes, at just over 30 I just got into trail riding. Traded a free to me 74 KZ1000 for an RT180 and took it out to a place called Interlake here in Indiana. Had a blast, and the next week I sold the RT and got an 89 KDX. Buddy had a kdx and while I enjoyed the RT, the KDX was so much better. She's not a looker, and needs a little love in the low end band, but only paid $540 for it, has a FMF chamber on it, but a stock silencer. Plan to get it all fixed up over the winter and hit up some woods come spring.

If anyone is around southern Indiana area. Interlake is a killer location.

I'll be bugging for some E parts and info to bring this bike back to prime condition. If you have any common requests let me know.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New trail rider, Indianapolis

Post by 6 Riders »

Post up a picture. Only bad thing about E bikes, is parts availability. I have spent many hours scouring E-Bay for simple things. Sometimes I score, sometimes I pay out my @$$ for what I need.
Major problem with these bikes are; broken Power valves (which sounds like you have), rear brake lines blowing out (it is 25 years old) and bearings....seems KDX owners don't like to grease bearings.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
jsjamboree
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jsjamboree »

6 Riders wrote:Post up a picture. Only bad thing about E bikes, is parts availability. I have spent many hours scouring E-Bay for simple things. Sometimes I score, sometimes I pay out my @$$ for what I need.
Major problem with these bikes are; broken Power valves (which sounds like you have), rear brake lines blowing out (it is 25 years old) and bearings....seems KDX owners don't like to grease bearings.
Im finding this to be very true, Looks like UFO makes most of the plastics still, and people have picked up the common wear items (KPS valving, bearings, etc), but they are $$. Really like the bike, and since i got it for pretty dang cheep I should be able to replace most of the bad with new and still be under what a decent H would run me.

Your thinking the low end issues may be the KIPS? I'll rip it apart this winter and see what it all looks like, nice to see new parts for it being made by some members on here.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

jsjamboree wrote: Your thinking the low end issues may be the KIPS? I'll rip it apart this winter and see what it all looks like, nice to see new parts for it being made by some members on here.
I do. Start by pulling the small plastic cover on the right side of the cylinder. Run the bike, when you rev it, that arm should move. If not, something, somewhere is broke.
I don't care for the UFO rear fender, try to source an OEM, they are about the same price (if you can find one). I use a MAIER (w/o light, same shape as stock) that I found on Amazon...I really like it, but haven't seen one since. Most KX front fenders bolt right up. Side panels and rad shtouds are what hurts :blink: . Leave the stock silencer, it works just fine and the FMF won't help performance.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
jsjamboree
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jsjamboree »

Not the best pics, need to get the motor torn out of my MT and pack up some minibikes for the winter to make some room to work on this. I just got another carb as the one on it was in pretty bad shape, plan to go ahead and send it off to have it modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jsjamboree
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jsjamboree »

6 Riders wrote: I do. Start by pulling the small plastic cover on the right side of the cylinder. Run the bike, when you rev it, that arm should move. If not, something, somewhere is broke.
Haven't had room to mess with the KDX previously, this weekend I spent some time messing with it. I checked the KIPS valves the wrong way from what you said, but I think I got the same result. I took off the KIPS cover on the left hand side (I realize now thats actually a chamber so that should have really messed with everything. However, while looking in the square hole I could see one of the valves just bouncing around in there completely loose. I was able to take a screwdriver and flick it, so there was no grab what so ever. Was also 1/2 full of crud. Ordered a new set of valves, as soon as they get in i'll tear the head off and swap them out. Can it be done without removing the cylinder? Hopefully its not the valve rod itself.
jsjamboree
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jsjamboree »

Top end rebuilt, new kips, front end all rebuilt, took off all the old nasty stickers and glue and paint. Still needs some tuning, but I think it's ready for some dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcmkdx

Post by Jcmkdx »

Looks very nice :grin: