New Guy Supermoto Wheel Question

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
KDX_Newbie

Post by KDX_Newbie »

I have been lurking around here for a while and have been learning A LOT. Thanks for all the great info.

With a bit of $ and some luck, and with the intent to get some more seat time I plan to set up my largely stock '97 KDX200 for some part-time street action. I have street titled my machine already and have a good idea of what the lighting plan will be. The thing I really want to do is put a set of supermoto wheels and tires on, without spending big money. Does anyone here have some definitive answers as to which wheels and hubs I can use to bolt these up. I have heard that Ninja 250 wheels fit (they are 16") but the brake rotor on the front looks very different and the rear "cush drive" definitely will take major modification.

Any help is appreciated!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Guy Supermoto Wheel Question

Post by 6 Riders »

I'd use stock kdx/klx front hub and for money saving purposes a reaar hub from an older KX. I've posted the hubs that fit many times, try the search. Then pick up some 36 hole sumo rims and spoke kits....learn to lace.
I think any 36 hole 17" rim should work, but watch the width as you only have so much room inside the swing arm.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

KDX_Newbie wrote:I have been lurking around here for a while and have been learning A LOT. Thanks for all the great info.

With a bit of $ and some luck, and with the intent to get some more seat time I plan to set up my largely stock '97 KDX200 for some part-time street action. I have street titled my machine already and have a good idea of what the lighting plan will be. The thing I really want to do is put a set of supermoto wheels and tires on, without spending big money. Does anyone here have some definitive answers as to which wheels and hubs I can use to bolt these up. I have heard that Ninja 250 wheels fit (they are 16") but the brake rotor on the front looks very different and the rear "cush drive" definitely will take major modification.

Any help is appreciated!

google 'hooligan mod' <--- it's for drz400's but you'll get a good idea of just how CHEAP it can be done.

i've been using gs500 wheels for a few years. cheap, easy, and smooth as silk. spoked wheels are overkill for strength on the street, really.