Noooooob... To these bikes anyway

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
MistressOfMayhem

Post by MistressOfMayhem »

Hi folks!

New member but not so much a new rider. I've been mostly on sportbikes and a dual sport for the past 7 years but I am wanting to add to my skillset... And lets face it, you can never have too many motorcycles!

I have been lustfully eyeballing a 1987 KDX 200, and I think I might pull the trigger if it checks out the in-person inspection. It's a couple hundred miles south of me so I figured I would do a little research to see of its even worth the trek. Great forum you've got here!

Specifically, I am wanting a smaller displacement bike with enough versatility to primarily spend its time on moderately aggro trails and roads, maybe even some WOT on the "rally roads," but also with street legality to ride between connecting points (and maybe some light neighborhood hooliganism :lol: ).

Previously, I owned a DRZ 400S but I blew it up (I know, fail) playing Supermoto in canyons. My dirt skills need a lot of refinement and I am wanting to focus on that (as opposed to Supermoto in the canyons) so I am thinking this little bike would be the ticket. I am mechanically new to two strokes but generally familiar with the power band and torque curves.

I've read a lot of great things about this year of bike so I am here asking your feedback on what the biggest drawbacks would be in buying this bike.

Thanks!
Corey

Re: Noooooob... To these bikes anyway

Post by Corey »

Parts availability would be my one of my big concerns along with the KIPS. Through this site I learned that the '95 and on models (200) and the '97 and on models (220) those two issues are not of concern. As I understand it, that model year up until '94 had a nasty habit of eating the sub-valves and finding replacements are increasingly harder to find not to mention the other usual parts through normal wear and tear that you will eventually have to replace. 2-strokes are simple to work on and even though they are simple I highly encourage you to purchase a manual wether it be online or paper for any bike that you get.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The eating of the KIPS valves is primarily an issue with the 89-94 models. 86-88 air cooled with KIPS I have not seen this issue widely reported. They do have their own set of problems, however. Primarily the flywheel. The magnets are exposed and epoxied in place, and tend to fall off and shatter, necessitating a new flywheel which has not been available for quite some time. If you're looking at the 87 because you dig older "vintage" type bikes, that's great. If you want something reliable for regular use, maybe look for a 95+ model.
MistressOfMayhem

Post by MistressOfMayhem »

Thank you both for the feedback. I am not really buying it because of vintage novelty. Mostly for something cheap to thrash around on. I don't mind getting my hands dirty but the lack of parts availability is a drawback. I have also read that the rear brake can be a little sticky. Anyone heard of the drum brake being converted to a disc? I am not gonna be all that broken up if it can't be done but just a thought.

Edit: also, what are people doing to reconcile the lack of availability for the flywheel? Are there any aftermarkets or mods?

Decisions decisions...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There are modifications that can be done to the stator plate to allow use of a 95+ model flywheel. I have indeed seen instances of rear disk brake conversion, although I couldn't tell you offhand what parts are required or compatible.