Just picked up a project...

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Just picked up a project...

Post by Slick_Nick »

I think most of us ether run the crank breather straight to the ground, or through the little loop on the left side of the bike, bottom of the airbox. (On the outside.)

That will keep your filter clean, but unless it's overfilled, it shouldn't be puking out unless your crank seals are bad and combustion pressure is getting in there.
'00 KDX 220R
rashad

Post by rashad »

well i started it up after the oil change and it didnt spit one bit.. i also moved the hose a bit and made sure it wasnt being pinched. I cleaned and tidied things up and got the rear wheel off and rear bearings out..

1.) How important is that silly snap ring on the one side of the bearings? there isnt one on the other side, so I cannot imagine it being that necessary... and it broke coming off.

2.) I realized the PO has somehow got the wrong axle. I am pretty sure after some research, that he has an older model axel. So I ordered the correct on on ebay, just to be safe. The chain adjuster on one side was built into the axle, and there was a random nut being used as a spacer. :evil:

Getting tired of the rigjobs I am running into, but at the same time I am making progress and she has potential!

I don't think the crank seals are bad. I think the one thing that is ok is the motor. Only time will tell...

Now just waiting for Rocky Mtn ATV to ship my 567 boxes of parts...
rashad

Post by rashad »

:partyman:

rashad

Post by rashad »

ImageImageImage

Did a few things... Installed the new sprockets and chain, skid plate, rear wheel bearings, new axle(was wrong one), many missing nuts and bolts, cleaned it up a lot, installed exhaust springs and hangers and exhaust. Waiting on some plastics, have to order tires soon, and waiting on gas tank.

Other than that just hoping the motor doesn't need a crank seal and won't spit oil out the breather anymore... We shall see. Hoping to test tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
rashad

Post by rashad »

Oh I also installed seal savers... And yes I know I need to flip the front brake hose!

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Bike is looking good!
With that skid plate, use some foam tape around the bikes frame, that will keep it from rattling and driving you crazy.
Did you find a tank yet? If not...IMO I think the best deal on a tank is to get the Clark tank. It gives you a bit more fuel capacity and looks pretty stock. The IMS tank uses it's own shrouds and is UGLY....I have one for sale if you are interested :cool:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
rashad

Post by rashad »

UPDATE: %$%$#%% Carb!!!! :butthead:

I got everything else pretty much ready and of course I must have gotten something in the carb while washing it... I thought I drained the bowl good enough, but apparently I did not. So yeah... back to the drawing board. I have to pull the carb and clean it... Any tips while I am in there? I pulled it once but didnt take any jets out, just hit it with air hoping for the best..

The bike will start with starter fluid in the intake but as soon as I rev it it dies. Brand new plug, and I can see it is getting some type of gas, but apparently not enough.
rashad

Post by rashad »

UPDATE 2: Bike runs...when it wants. I literally went out and kicked it right over... will run until it feels like dying. So i pulled the carb completely off, cleaned it all out really good with carb cleaner and compressed air. Kicked it a bunch, nothing. Spritzed a little starter fluid in the filter and it started and idled!!! This is a big deal since it has not idled since I got it.

I also accidentally had left the gas on slightly while i was gone getting carb cleaner so there was gas flooding my garage btw... :evil:

So it ran a bit then died. Pulled the plug and it was tan and not wet. I put it to reserve and gas started pouring out the carb over flow. I switched it back to on and it started right up! Now for the first time I could wheelie and it felt like I had full power, or 90% anyway. Previously it did not like full throttle at all.. i think the carb cleaning helped.

So I am thinking maybe there was a petcock issue? Although then it flooded the carb while I was gone so... not sure.

Maybe I will just get new jets and the FMF pipe and rejet it. Any suggestions on jet sizes to get and do I need to shim the needle or anything?
rashad

Post by rashad »

Updates... Working on the plastics...

Out with the old...in with the new...

rashad

Post by rashad »

I think the subframe is slightly tweaked

The seat plastic lip does not want to slide under the frame, and the seat does not fit around the outside of the frame well... Takes a lot of force. The rear brackets don't line up perfectly either.

rashad

Post by rashad »

got a few questions posted in here if anyone wants to take a stab at them... :mrgreen:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

rashad wrote:
I also accidentally had left the gas on slightly while i was gone getting carb cleaner so there was gas flooding my garage btw... :evil:

So it ran a bit then died. Pulled the plug and it was tan and not wet. I put it to reserve and gas started pouring out the carb over flow. I switched it back to on and it started right up! Now for the first time I could wheelie and it felt like I had full power, or 90% anyway. Previously it did not like full throttle at all.. i think the carb cleaning helped.

So I am thinking maybe there was a petcock issue? Although then it flooded the carb while I was gone so... not sure.
Gas flowing out the overflow and all over the floor is a float problem....Stuck maybe? Might just need the height set. New jets are a good idea, but you got to get the other problems sorted out first.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
rashad

Post by rashad »

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!! :partyman: :partyman: :partyman:

^It was A FLOAT problem..well kinda... It was a "negligence" problem on my part. I somehow managed to throw the carb back together without the float needle!! :rolleyes:

I actually had left it on the garage floor for the last week... Imagine my surprise when I pulled it apart... and it was gone. Thank God I found it by tracing my steps a week ago and it was in perfect shape.

Lots of updates here... but long story short, SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Running pretty damn good.. power wheelies in first and second without trying.

Gee I wonder why she wouldn't idle or run well...

Wonder how long she had a chipped reed??

threw in some Boyeson 607s! :supz:

also rejetted at 45 and 155 I believe.. (whatever the popular/ FMF reccomendations were) needle was already on middle (third) clip

AND THIS:

She is coming along nicely...

here is a video of my stepson riding it!
http://vid304.photobucket.com/albums/nn ... i9q6mt.mp4
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

nICE WORK!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
rashad

Post by rashad »

A few more things done tonight...

rashad

Post by rashad »

Oh I flipped the brake hose around but no pic.

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

How about a seat cover? (did you ever get that seat to "seat" :lol: ?)
rashad

Post by rashad »

seat cover is next... went to order one but paypal rejected my card... with $3,000 in the account... :hmm: So ill take that as a sign I need to go to bed.
rashad

Post by rashad »

So my first attempt at seat recovering was a fail.... I can't get those wrinkles out to save my life. Didn't help the harbor freight staple gun was absolute garbage! It jammed after every staple. Literally. Ah well, it's on.