Just picked up a project...

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
rashad

Post by rashad »

Hey guys, I have long been into bikes... last one was a Hayabusa, and haven't been in the dirt for awhile.. then I got my DR650. It is pretty much modded to be a dirt monster.. as much as the pig can be. After going places you shouldnt with a DR650 (check my youtube channel for the single track video) I decided the KDX would be one of the best woods weapons I could get for cheap, all around. I picked up a 2003 today for 500 bucks. It needs some work, and will be a nice project for me and the step son.

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Just picked up a project...

Post by 6 Riders »

Hell, that's hardly a project.....Throw a chain and sprockets on it and RIDE!!! :lol:
OK, OK.....Maybe a little (or a lot) more work than that...nice buy anyways :partyman:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
rashad

Post by rashad »

Thanks! yeah it definitely needs rear wheel bearings... a bolt kit for many stupid decisions by PO... chain sprox, tires, and I might rebuild it for good measure. Also have to figure out the exhaust/ jetting situation.. that is a cluster. The exhaust is zip tied on (no joke) in spots and hitting/ melting the plastic onthe right side... Anything in particular to watch out for otherwise?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Oh yeah....Swing arm bearings are probably toast, as well as the linkage bearings, steering bearings and the front wheel bearings.
You most certainly want to read the Newb thread...here...http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=12457
With your riding experience, you'll want a new pipe, I recommend leaving the stock silencer...Because they are quiet and do not reduce performance. New reeds, or a whole reed valve (which is better), then re-jet the bike. Of course taking a look at the top end and cleaning out the KIPS is always a good idea.

Hey, you want to trade that black tank for a green one? :please: :mrgreen:
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
rashad

Post by rashad »

Ill have to get back to you on the tank.. lol.. the bike has the stock headpipe and an aftermarket fmf pipe on it now... wire tied on.. then he also gave me a fmf headpipe.. and stock muffler. :neutral: Im confused.. I dont know if the exhaust even fits this bike to be honest. I will start tearing it down soon.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Post some pictures.....I bet the FMF silencer is the wrong part.
rashad

Post by rashad »

Oh sorry btw my youtube link I never posted.... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Na2V ... w6FqHFh2Jg
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Nice buy!

There should be an FMF part number on the upper hang tab on the pipe. Check it against FMF site or list it here to see if its the right one and woods or desert model.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

project huh ? what you gonna do, move the front brake line routing to inside the fork tube ?

that bike just needs kicked
rashad

Post by rashad »

So a few things that need fixed... (btw I thoroughly degreased this thing and breathed a sigh.. she looks so much better!!! I think there was a protective layer of grease over the engine!)

This seat bracket is torn... they had everything safety wired on!! The plastic side panels were for another bike or year... or didnt fit with the stock rear fender... which is missing the light and wiring.(and no headlight but found those wires.)

Not a huge deal because I can always bolt that on and it will stay, but annoying. :roll:

The BIG PROBLEM... and yes 6riders I will trade the tank!!! As long as you are ok with this:

That bolt, along with the one above it, are both stuck.. yes i know this is common on them.. I read that. But I tried melting the plastic with a soldering iron with no luck. They are both free spinning and this crap fairing is stuck, with the WRONG bolt forced into the brass insert here...
rashad

Post by rashad »

more plastic pics...

This pipe is the "factory" one.. it is very close to the right plastic and the radiator mount on this side.. (radiators are missing both upper mounts and inserts.. and this lower one.)

Also the rear subframe, with the allen bolts that runs vertically... was LOOSE!!! :blink:

is this the stock pipe?

heres the FMF..didnt get a chance to see that mounting tab and if there was a part no.

Also im pretty sure there is no coolant in this thing :kick:

If you see anything out of place, shout it out!!

Oh..... before I forget... the airbox lid just...came off. Nothing holding it on.. normal?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

So the stock pipe is for that bike...can't tell you if the FMF is or not, but if it is, you'll want to use it. To get the bolts out of the gas tank......Put a high speed drill with a socket on it, grab a big long screwdriver and spin the bolt while prying on the shroud. The insert will come out of the tank once it gets the plastic warm enough. Doesn't look like you can save that tank.
The airbox lid does just pop off. It has a seal inside of it, but nothing holding it on.
Oh....and jesus a bolt kit is like $40...why would you wire everything together? :doh: :vom:
rashad

Post by rashad »

Any way to maybe epoxy the brass insert back in?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

rashad wrote:Any way to maybe epoxy the brass insert back in?
Yes, simply epoxy it back in, some have melted the plastic again as well. Make sure it is threaded properly or replace it first.
Corey

Post by Corey »

It's torture for me to see how some people take care of (or lack thereof) their bikes in this manner :vom:
rashad

Post by rashad »

Corey wrote:It's torture for me to see how some people take care of (or lack thereof) their bikes in this manner :vom:
i totally agree.. this could have all been avoided... its nonsense.. but I guess I got the bike cheap, and I can make it a project for my stepson to learn from. :supz:
rashad

Post by rashad »

Ok.. update: Just spent a bunch of money at rocky mountain atv.... again... getting many parts, some anti monkey butt powder, cool riding pants, and assorted jelly beans (jk, no jelly beans).

But I did notice a few things. The FMF is NOT for my bike. I still couldn't find a part number. But the header end measures 2 1/8 inches, while the stock KDX port isn't even 2 inches... so that aint going to fit!(that's what she said :lol: )

-I ordered some stock mounting things for the exhaust, like the header springs, and the front mounting cushion. I think i am going to keep the stock pipe for now.

-Ordered a skid plate, and chain breaker tool so I can mount the chain and sprox from the last order (lol.)

-QUESTION: does the stock rad shrouds mount directly to the radiator on the bottom front bolt? In other words, there is a metal tab that creates a place for a bolt to thread into on the bottom of the radiator.. well there is an identical spot on the top as well.. is there two of them normally? I may have to get a picture to explain what I am asking... basically the PO had just run a bolt and nut threw plastic and shroud and cinched them tight, all ghetto fabulous...
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The bottom bolt of the rad shroud is supposed to go through a speed nut, the speed nut is mounted to the lower part of the rad...same for both sides and all air cooled KDXs.
rashad

Post by rashad »

Another thing... there was coolant in the intake boot. Is there some sort of overflow that goes there? Otherwise how on earth?? Anything to worry about?
rashad

Post by rashad »

UPDATE 2:... so I bought some plastic weld, and went about fixing the gas tank. Got the bolts out and promptly put a hole in the tank and now it leaks... so I need a gas tank.

Also, and possibly worse, when it runs, oil is spewing into the airbox from the crank vent and all over the ground, after it leaks through the bottom of the airbox