Newbie, name gives away my racing history...

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
brider

Post by brider »

...But I haven't raced in 30 years (still have my trophies, though!)

So I may have a chance to buy a 1997 KDX 200 that appears to be well-maintained and well-loved. Never owned a Kawie, but I have a lot of respect for the brand.

Of all the years the KDX200 was made, is the 1997 a solid mount? Seems kind of dated with the conventional forks, but I'm sure they can still be dialed in.

This bike also does not have lights; what might be a good price for a well-maintained bike of this year, new clutch, linkage bearings, suspension work, but no lights?

My background waaaaay back when I used to race was motocross, but here in CT I think the riding is mostly woods.

Thanks!
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: Newbie, name gives away my racing history...

Post by KDXohio »

95+ are all the same so as long as its been well maintained itd be fine. Forks just need sprung for your weight and they'll be good.
Around me a 97 in good shape would go 900-1200 ocassionaly 600-800
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

I found my buddy a 97 for $700 but he put another $300 to get it up to snuff. Top end, linkage bearings, pipe, ect. Have fun racing it, after 30 years you will feel it the next day.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Here in New England, KDX's really hold their resale value compared to other parts of the country.
brider

Post by brider »

Thanks for the responses. I'll report back in the regular forum if I ride the bike and have questions.

The guy who is selling it actually would like to talk trade for the 2006 GasGas EC300 (2-stroke) that I'm advertising for sale now. I bought the GasGas imagining my glory days racing CR125's/CR250's, but the GG is just TOO much motor for me. Still, I recall the fun of fanning the clutch out of a corner; I'm hoping the 200 can be fun in that regard, but also be ridden more easily at slow speeds with an old guy on board.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

You will certianly still have fun on it! The thing I loved about my KDX was the fact that the power was not violent like it is on the MX bikes. Way smoother power curve, and it does well with slower speeds. I sold mine a while back and am currently building a hybrid (KX125 roller, with KDX motor). If you haven't checked out that section of the forum, its definitely worth a look!

Also, I saw you had mentioned the conventional forks. Another option to what KDXohio stated, you could swap out the forks for a set off of a KX (or another MX bike, lots of info on the swap in the forum). There are many different options based on the bike and year the forks are coming off of. On my KDX, I swapped a complete KX500 front end onto it. It was directly bolt up. The only thing I needed to mess with was making up a clamp for the front brake line. Overall, very simple swap for awesome results. The bike almost felt laser guided when it was done! I don't remember exactly, but I think I had around 200 bucks into the swap.

Hope you get the KDX, you will love it!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike