New KDX owner in Pennsylvania

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
DJNiedz

Post by DJNiedz »

Hi there,
Bought myself a 2001 220r in January this year. I live on 400+acres in SE PA on the PA/NJ border. Been having a blast ripping through the woods/fields/roads. Lots of logs to hop, lots of deer to avoid. Anyone local to Bucks county gimme a shout.

Previous owner tells me that the previous owner before him put in a Wiseco piston.
Starting to get a little nervous, wondering if I should be installing a new one soon. Also I mistakingly ran a few tanks of 87octane mix though the bike, possibly stressing the piston even more.

At this point should I just assume to send out the cylinder for a replate, or pull it, inspect it and go from there? Bad idea to just order a standard bore piston kit and hope for the best, or wait until I pull the cylinder and inspect it?

Thanks,
Dan
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New KDX owner in Pennsylvania

Post by jjavaman »

When you get it back if you have to get it replated,it will still be a 220 unless you get it bored. I'd order the piston first and you'll find out if you need to send it out when you tear it apart. I did mine this past winter and the cylinder was fine, showed very little wear.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Buy a top end gasket kit, then take it apart and check everything.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
DJNiedz

Post by DJNiedz »

thanks guys. ill probably wait until there's snow on the ground this winter before I do it.
Corey

Post by Corey »

I agree with Jason but personally I would get the cylinder plated along with a new piston as well as an hour meter. The intent is to at least know where you stand (with the top end) as well as establishing a maintenence regimen. Check the air filter!!!!!!
DJNiedz

Post by DJNiedz »

Corey wrote:I agree with Jason but personally I would get the cylinder plated along with a new piston as well as an hour meter. The intent is to at least know where you stand (with the top end) as well as establishing a maintenence regimen. Check the air filter!!!!!!
previous owner did put a trail tech computer on it, so I've got the hour meter.
also did a compression test when I got it, i believe it was 140-145 psi.

new piston along with a plated cylinder would give me that warm fuzzy feeling, and a nice starting point for maintenance. right now it's just a mystery.