KDX220 Returned Home!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
MistrRoboto

KDX220 Returned Home!

Post by MistrRoboto »

Hey there!

Just looking to introduce myself. Jim from Virginia Beach, VA. About 14 years ago I received an awesome gift from my parents - 2001 KDX220r. Rode it a bit, but then got caught up in teenager/highschooler stuff, forgot about the bike. Went off to school, started working, and here I am 14 years later. My brother had taken it somewhere down the road, and recently it fell back into my hands.

SO! I have my baby back, although slightly hybrid now. Frame is my 01 KDX220, but the motor is out of our original 1997 KDX200. I guess somewhere along the way it was swapped with our other bike because of some major engine failure on the 220. I don't know the details - just happy to have a bike again.

Didn't run that well off the bat. Rich as a pig, sputtered through all RPMs. Bike is stock with exception of "Dyno Port Pipe" that I remember being on the original 200 we got back in 98. I'll likely change that for a FMF Gnarly Woods when I can afford it. I have no idea how much gunk is in that pipe - and I don't recognize the brand.

Here is a rundown of where I am at...

1) Changed oil... it was BAD BAD in there. Clutch is likely pretty worn. It was practically seized when I got the bike... took a running bump start to get it all moving again and its been perfect since.
2) Added coolant
3) Cleaned air filter
4) Soaked carb
5) Changed plug
6) Still ran like **** - changed stock jetting/needle a bit from 48/160 to 42/152. Still runs rich which leads me to...
7) Pulled reeds this week and found damage to one. Putting in Boyesen Power Reeds today
8) Will likely change out the 18 year old piston and rings this fall/winter. Not sure if its all that old, but I can't imagine it was changed in the past 10 years at a minimum. The bike also hasn't been ridden much though

Anyway - that's it! Good to be back on a dirt bike, its all I can think about lately.

-Jim

Mnmonster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX220 Returned Home!

Post by Mnmonster »

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck.

Nice s4r by the way. Let's see some more pics of that! I may be a bit biased though.

MistrRoboto

Re: KDX220 Returned Home!

Post by MistrRoboto »

Mmmmmmm BOOM TUBES! Beautiful bike, I've seen it before, maybe on DMF?

Can't find my fav pic, but here is one.. crappy angle.

Mnmonster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Mnmonster »

Nice. That titanium color combo with the red frame has always been my favorite factory color scheme. I like the shorty termi too. Yes I am on the DMF forum as well.

It looks like you might have the stock 20 year old tires on the kdx. My 1997 did as well when I picked it up last year. Finally replaced them this spring and wow what a difference. Add that to your list as well!
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

KDX220 Returned Home!

Post by IDRIDR »

Nice Ducs fellas!

My '03 had its stock front tire on it when I bought the bike last September. What a difference a new tire makes.

OP: Good for you on getting your old friend back. That's pretty cool.

[Picky former Scoutmaster observation: Your flag is backwards. The field of blue should be on the upper left.]
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Congrats, and welcome to the forums! Most likely the stock piston grenaded in the 220 engine, necessitating a full rebuild or replacement. I also note that you said you soaked the carb. Not sure what you used, but in general that is a big no-no for the PWK carbs. There is a rubber o-ring type gasket between the carb body and jet block which does not like most carb soak chemicals. If that gets leaky, no amount of jetting will fix the rich condition it causes. Just something to be aware of.

Good luck!!!

J.
MistrRoboto

Post by MistrRoboto »

Julien D wrote:Congrats, and welcome to the forums! Most likely the stock piston grenaded in the 220 engine, necessitating a full rebuild or replacement. I also note that you said you soaked the carb. Not sure what you used, but in general that is a big no-no for the PWK carbs. There is a rubber o-ring type gasket between the carb body and jet block which does not like most carb soak chemicals. If that gets leaky, no amount of jetting will fix the rich condition it causes. Just something to be aware of.

Good luck!!!

J.
I was just trying to sound cool :) By soak, I really just took it apart and wiped everything down. It was spotless in there. But - that raises a good point - how would I know if this has happened? I have no idea what has been done to the carb over the past 17 years.

Thanks,
Jim