Thinking of getting a KDX...

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
melias24

Post by melias24 »

Hey guys, i'm new to this forum. I am also on Dirtbikerider.com and thumpertalk.com forums too. Anyway, i thought i'd come here to ask KDX questions.

So i have a 2010 Husqvarna TC250, and it doesn't start when hot. So, i've been intrigued by the KDX200 for a while. I was thinking, i should sell the TC if i can't fix it and get a KDX. I told my mates this idea, and said it'd be downgrading buying a KDX, instead of another 250f, although all we do is enduro riding and we might all get into enduro racing soon. I also saw that the KDX is a bit down on power, but porting jetting and an FMF (Gnarly i think) could help with this. One of my mates was for it, and said i should fully kit out a KDX.

So what do you guys think of this? Should i go ahead with this, and get a KDX and modify it/deck it out? I read that you can pull the front wheel up with ease until gear 3. I am just concerned that i am going to be wanting more power, with this bike as i think they only produce 27HP.
~Elias
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Thinking of getting a KDX...

Post by ohgood »

with a pipe and jetting, mine powers up third easily, fourth depends on the temperature/humidity.

if you're a fast rider, you'll likely want better suspension than what the kdx has stock. it is not on par with modern dirt bikes.

hopping off a husaburg 250f and on to a kdx is like turning back the suspension clock. is just not going to be a "oh yaaaaaaaa" experience.

the smooth predictable power is very easy to manage though, and the tighter the woods get, the easier the kdx becomes. last weekend i crawled through dry creek beds and blasted power lines. a for stroke would have been stall city in most of that terrain.

take a ride on a buddies kdx and do both tight woods and fast double track to get an idea
koshari

Post by koshari »

While your TC might be hard to start hot. My kdx dont like cold starts. Having said that once its warm half a kick on the starter and she barks back into life.
melias24

Post by melias24 »

koshari wrote:While your TC might be hard to start hot. My kdx dont like cold starts. Having said that once its warm half a kick on the starter and she barks back into life.
Yea, and with us really getting into enduro, i don't want to be waiting 10 minutes every time i stall at an obstacle!
melias24

Post by melias24 »

ohgood wrote:with a pipe and jetting, mine powers up third easily, fourth depends on the temperature/humidity.

if you're a fast rider, you'll likely want better suspension than what the kdx has stock. it is not on par with modern dirt bikes.

hopping off a husaburg 250f and on to a kdx is like turning back the suspension clock. is just not going to be a "oh yaaaaaaaa" experience.

the smooth predictable power is very easy to manage though, and the tighter the woods get, the easier the kdx becomes. last weekend i crawled through dry creek beds and blasted power lines. a for stroke would have been stall city in most of that terrain.

take a ride on a buddies kdx and do both tight woods and fast double track to get an idea
So is the suspension that bad that it'd be dangerous to hit jumps on? My XR200r was scary to hit jumps on the suspension was crap. I was thinking of finding a KX/F250/125 frame and putting the KDX200 motor in it.
koshari

Post by koshari »

Its not dangerous to hit jumps. You just have to ride within its limitations. I grew up with blokes that used to get around on Elsinores and whilst they went very fast they were hardly the greatest handlers of all time.
melias24

Post by melias24 »

koshari wrote:Its not dangerous to hit jumps. You just have to ride within its limitations. I grew up with blokes that used to get around on Elsinores and whilst they went very fast they were hardly the greatest handlers of all time.
Yea fair enough. Do you think KX/F front forks could help when jumping? We do jumps quiet often, maybe jumps that launch you 2 meters into the air at the most?
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

My KDX's are all very easy to start hot or cold.
As for suspension, the stock rear end is okay, but the forks are not up to par for jumping. It is easy enough to swap on some KX forks to fix that problem.
Even better, build a hybrid with a KX125 frame.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I had a TE310. The KDX is a better off-road bike except for the stock front forks. Do a fork swap, and set it up right for your weight. You will not look back. I have the 220 and it has more power potential than the 200 (which I had several of).
You will enjoy the lower seat, lower CG, the two-stroke reliability, the easy turns, the quick handling, etc.
But you must install modern forks that are revalved for off-road to enjoy the KDX potential.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If you're mainly running trails, the KDX is an excellent choice. It will need to be sprung for your weight, at a minimum. With a pipe, proper jetting, and suspension properly set, you'll have no trouble at all keeping up with a 250f in the woods.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

melias24 wrote:
ohgood wrote:with a pipe and jetting, mine powers up third easily, fourth depends on the temperature/humidity.

So is the suspension that bad that it'd be dangerous to hit jumps on? My XR200r was scary to hit jumps on the suspension was crap. I was thinking of finding a KX/F250/125 frame and putting the KDX200 motor in it.
Google kdx hybrid, there is a ton of information.
melias24

Post by melias24 »

Julien D wrote:If you're mainly running trails, the KDX is an excellent choice. It will need to be sprung for your weight, at a minimum. With a pipe, proper jetting, and suspension properly set, you'll have no trouble at all keeping up with a 250f in the woods.
Would you suggest the FMF gnarly woods or desert pipe?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

KDX with the suspension setup properly for your weight (a fork swap is even better...hybrid would be the best) and pipe/RB head and carb work and your 4 stroke buddies will be working to keep up in the tight and nasty stuff. It's never going to be a great jumper as it wasn't designed for that. But it will eat up mile after mile of nasty terrain and not bat an eyelash. Again, you have to set the suspension and jet it properly, but after that you'll never look back to a 4T. You can't use a KXF frame for a hybrid without some pretty extensive fabrication, but a KX125 frame from 01-05 will let you run everything from Enduro to SX.
melias24

Post by melias24 »

bufftester wrote:KDX with the suspension setup properly for your weight (a fork swap is even better...hybrid would be the best) and pipe/RB head and carb work and your 4 stroke buddies will be working to keep up in the tight and nasty stuff. It's never going to be a great jumper as it wasn't designed for that. But it will eat up mile after mile of nasty terrain and not bat an eyelash. Again, you have to set the suspension and jet it properly, but after that you'll never look back to a 4T. You can't use a KXF frame for a hybrid without some pretty extensive fabrication, but a KX125 frame from 01-05 will let you run everything from Enduro to SX.
Sounds good! I'll look into a kx/kdx hybrid! Is it hard to do?
melias24

Post by melias24 »

melias24 wrote:
bufftester wrote:KDX with the suspension setup properly for your weight (a fork swap is even better...hybrid would be the best) and pipe/RB head and carb work and your 4 stroke buddies will be working to keep up in the tight and nasty stuff. It's never going to be a great jumper as it wasn't designed for that. But it will eat up mile after mile of nasty terrain and not bat an eyelash. Again, you have to set the suspension and jet it properly, but after that you'll never look back to a 4T. You can't use a KXF frame for a hybrid without some pretty extensive fabrication, but a KX125 frame from 01-05 will let you run everything from Enduro to SX.
Sounds good! I'll look into a kx/kdx hybrid! Is it hard to do?
Forgot to ask, would a simple rear shock and front fork change out be sufficient for jumps? Or does the whole frame need to be changed? For $200 AUD i can get a 1999 KX125 frame and rear and front shocks. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rothwell ... 1083969368 theres the link. Any difference in a 1990's year model KDX engine and a 2000's year KDX motor?
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

'99 is a good year KX to build a hybrid from, but with that particular one, you would still need a bunch of parts.
The price though is close to what you would pay for forks and triples.
You would still need a KX front wheel, but you can re-use the KDX brake caliper.

To answer your other question, the KDX will be a much improved track bike with just a front fork change, but it still will have a short wheelbase and higher center of gravity that lends itself better to tight trails.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
melias24

Post by melias24 »

doctord23 wrote:'99 is a good year KX to build a hybrid from, but with that particular one, you would still need a bunch of parts.
The price though is close to what you would pay for forks and triples.
You would still need a KX front wheel, but you can re-use the KDX brake caliper.

To answer your other question, the KDX will be a much improved track bike with just a front fork change, but it still will have a short wheelbase and higher center of gravity that lends itself better to tight trails.
Ah OK cool. I read that the 94-96 KX500 front forks will just go right onto the KDX, is this true?
melias24

Post by melias24 »

Also wondering if a KDX would be quieter than a 250f with an FMF gnarly? I ride fairly hard when I'm on the flat, and we have land that is fairly close to other houses, and the neighbors get annoyed with how loud my 250f rave bike is, so would the kdx be a quiet bike?
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I'd say a KDX is quieter than an uncorked 4 stroke. Those things are loud and the sound seems to carry farther too. My bike has a gnarly woods pipe with a powercore2 and it's not very loud at all.

Stock a KDX is super quiet. Herr are a few more points that touch on some of your other questions. My bike is very easy to start whether it's been sitting for a month or not. If you crash/stall it's still a one kick deal. I don't ride really fast through the woods but the stock suspension hasn't seemed to limit me at all. I'm 205lbs and I did several small jumps with no issues or bottoming out. Keep in mind I've never really ridden a "better" modern bike long enough to get a feel for good suspension.

I like my 220 a lot. I can ride it almost like my past XR400. It makes good torque right off idle. It is pretty hard to stall it, and I can lug around a gear high if I want to.

Joey

2003 KDX 220R
melias24

Post by melias24 »

JFortner5 wrote:I'd say a KDX is quieter than an uncorked 4 stroke. Those things are loud and the sound seems to carry farther too. My bike has a gnarly woods pipe with a powercore2 and it's not very loud at all.

Stock a KDX is super quiet. Herr are a few more points that touch on some of your other questions. My bike is very easy to start whether it's been sitting for a month or not. If you crash/stall it's still a one kick deal. I don't ride really fast through the woods but the stock suspension hasn't seemed to limit me at all. I'm 205lbs and I did several small jumps with no issues or bottoming out. Keep in mind I've never really ridden a "better" modern bike long enough to get a feel for good suspension.

I like my 220 a lot. I can ride it almost like my past XR400. It makes good torque right off idle. It is pretty hard to stall it, and I can lug around a gear high if I want to.

Have you ridden a 250f? What would the power compare to that? Read that the Gnarly Desert pipe improves bottom end and makes it have a screaming top end like a 125.