Thinking of getting a KDX...

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Re: Thinking of getting a KDX...

Post by JFortner5 »

I've had about 5 minutes on a 250f but it was several years ago so I can't really comment.

My guess is the 250f will probably pull harder when it's wide open at high rpm, but an uncorked kdx has more power under the curve.

FMF makes 2 different gnarly pipes for a kdx, a Rev pipe and a woods pipe. I have the torque which supposedly sacrifices some top end, but my bike is plenty fast for me.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
melias24

Post by melias24 »

JFortner5 wrote:I've had about 5 minutes on a 250f but it was several years ago so I can't really comment.

My guess is the 250f will probably pull harder when it's wide open at high rpm, but an uncorked kdx has more power under the curve.

FMF makes 2 different gnarly pipes for a kdx, a Rev pipe and a woods pipe. I have the torque which supposedly sacrifices some top end, but my bike is plenty fast for me.
Ah ok fair enough, thought i ask an actually owner, can't trust anything i read, as some people say they can put a fight up with a 450, others say that it's slower than a 125 2 stroke, so, i'll have to ask someone who has ridden both, thanks for your input!
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I'm just talking about if you lined up the bikes on a drag race. If you're riding in the woods it doesn't really matter. In that case a good rider on a kdx could beat a not so good rider on a 450.

As they say it's 90% rider, just find something you are comfortable on really.

Where do you live I'll let you ride my bike?
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
koshari

Post by koshari »

JFortner5 wrote:
I like my 220 a lot.
may i ask what the black side plates are off or are they painted?
melias24

Post by melias24 »

JFortner5 wrote:I'm just talking about if you lined up the bikes on a drag race. If you're riding in the woods it doesn't really matter. In that case a good rider on a kdx could beat a not so good rider on a 450.

As they say it's 90% rider, just find something you are comfortable on really.

Where do you live I'll let you ride my bike?
Would love to, one problem I live in Australia :p
koshari

Post by koshari »

Where do you ride melais?
melias24

Post by melias24 »

koshari wrote:Where do you ride melais?
I ride mainly long wide trials, hit some occasional jumps and ride on tight enduro trails. I want to start enduro racing too. I am just unsure whether the KDX will cut it, as the suspension is dated. May have to do a fork swap. I have a 2003 KDX200 in mind for $1800 AUD. Anything i should know about the 2003 models and what's better/worse?
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Nothing of note about the 2003 model other than it's the same as all the models before it down to 1996 and after it up to 2006!

You would be fine racing enduros. Make sure the suspension is spring to your weight and go! I wouldn't get too caught up in fork upgrades. No doubt the suspension could be upgraded, but I doubt the stock setup will truly hold you back in a material way once sprung properly.

When I owned a KDX, I had had zero trouble passing much newer and arguably better handling bikes [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk