Buying my first big bike!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
203BikeLifeCHiNO

Buying my first big bike!

Post by 203BikeLifeCHiNO »

What's up everyone I'm new to the forum, and going to be picking up an 89 KDX200 this Saturday for my first big bike! I have just started getting into bikes and last summer and moto vloging this year. Seeing as I was broke and couldn't afford a nice bike a built a pit bike to learn and mess around on. I currently own and ride a 03 xr50r it's got a yx140cc engine and some other odds and ends I love it but my skills have surpassed the capability of the bike and am ready for a good street/trail bike. I will be needing to replace the clutch on the bike when I get it and will go through the other routine maintenance things like plug, sprockets, chain, and other odds and ends in order of importance as I get the money to do so and then do whatever I can to squeeze out a bit more power from it. Anyone have words of advice on how the transition from a tiny 140cc pit bike to a real bike will be? Also if someone could point me in the direction of a write up on how to replace the clutch and a link to download the fsm and owners manual and things like that would be great! Thanks in advance I can't wait to be the proud owner of a KDX200.
Bitteeinit

Re: Buying my first big bike!

Post by Bitteeinit »

I wouldn't say the KDX is a good street bike (though it'll do for city riding in a pinch), but it'll blow away the smaller bikes you've been riding on in the dirt and trails.
203BikeLifeCHiNO

I won't be using it to commute or as a DD or anything like that just to cruise around and take me to the trails because I don't have a truck or a way to bring it to the trails, so if it will blow my little bike out the dirt in the woods it should do the same on the roads I'm assuming. I street ride my pitbike all around to get me to trails its kind of dual sported out and it's all I know as far as riding so figured the kdx should be fine and I wont wind the engine out like I do on the xr (it does 60mph easy).
203BikeLifeCHiNO

Re: Buying my first big bike!

I did buy the bike and I'm in the process of doing a full rebuild on the engine, here are some pictures. Image Image Image