new to site, just got an 01 kdx200 to do some family riding

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
actmobmar
Supporting Member

Post by actmobmar »

hi, just got a dirtbike after being out of dirtbikes for years, an 01 kdx200. a lil quick history, always been a 2 stroke guy, owned a honda elsinore 125 and rm 250 years ago. then got into the 2 stroke street bike thing, my first streetbike was a suzuki t350, then an rd400, and recently an rz350 that i just sold. my son turned 18 a couple of months ago, and recently wanted a street bike, specifically an interceptor 800 which i said no way for a first bike, he also wanted to ride off road, so instead he got a suzuki drz400. i wanted to be able to ride with him so i just picked up the kdx. it needs a top end done, previous owner said compression was around 95 psi, so i am going to pull it in a little bit. of course, while my son and i are out getting the kdx my wife sets us up this weekend to go riding at a friends place in the everglades for fathers day! looks like i have to get the kdx rebuilt quickly! anyway, i build and modify mercury race outboards and am a marine mechanic by trade. i look forward to being a member here and learning about the bikes
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: new to site, just got an 01 kdx200 to do some family rid

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.

Good luck on the rebuild.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome to the family. That DRZ can fit his bill for street and some light offroad nicely. Top end job should be a breeze for you with your background (the KIPS is not that complicated once you see it disassembled). Other good things to do since you'll have the top end apart: Make sure your intake tract is good with no holes or tears in any of the boots, reeds in good condition, clean out the muffler (if OEM, or repack if aftermarket), and disassemble and clean the carb. While it's apart make note of the jets for reference when you go to rejet it. Two best things you can do for the bike are set up the suspension properly and jet it correctly. Even if you do nothing else to it past that it will provide years of faithful service and keep up with just about everyone..
offshoretitan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by offshoretitan »

+1 with all of the above but I would add that you should take time to inspect, repack or replace all the bearings: axles, steering, swing arm, linkage, etc. You can pretty much bet that they haven't seen the love and attention that they need.
actmobmar
Supporting Member

Post by actmobmar »

Thanks guys! Wanted to give an update, compression on bike was good, 138 psi. I eventually will pull the top end and go thru it. Fighting some jetting issues with it but other than that all is good