New to the KDX world

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New to the KDX world

Post by bushx »

Just picked up my first KDX, a well loved/used 2001 220R. It's got some big risers, flex bars, an FMF Gnarly, and who knows what else. Starts first kick. Checked the oil, lubed the chain, and going to take it out for it's first ride tomorrow. I have a Husky TE630 that's in pieces right now, when I get that sorted, I plan on giving the KDX a good going over, top end/piston, inspect the KIPS stuff, possibly a new silencer, service the forks, etc. Already ordered a new seat cover, gas cap, and rear fender to refresh some cracked/torn stuff. Can't wait to try it out.
wolfracing38

Re: New to the KDX world

Post by wolfracing38 »

congrats
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New to the KDX world

Post by C George »

There's a lot of great guys on here with years of experience, enjoy.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums and congratulations. :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome to the blue smoke crowd!
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bushx »

Thanks all. It was a good day.
Few things to work on, grabby clutch that didn't want to engage sometimes like the cable was hung up, or the plates hung up on the basket. Suspension seemed too stiff for me, previous owner must have been a big boy because I'm 200 without gear. Power was good. Little sputter under light load cruise, but revs out good. So, inspect clutch/lube cable. Check/ set sag. Set a baseline for damping settings. Go ride. Oh, might go with a lower riser too, they were a little high for my taste.
offshoretitan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

New to the KDX world

Post by offshoretitan »

Take the advice of the many knowledgeable 220 owners on here > replace the piston immediately unless you can confirm without question that the OEM piston has been changed in your bike. I put about 12 hours on mine before doing so, basically saying all along, "I'm going to get to that soon. The bike's running great and the previous owner had no problem." This is what I found when I got to it:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/gallery/ ... play=popup
(that's Kate's fingernail by the way, not mine...)

Enjoy your bike - and welcome to the forum!
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bushx »

Yea, I've read about the 220 piston issues. Too bad I don't have much history on this bike. I think the top end has been at least off lately. The cylinder base gasket is (was) a nice bright clean fresh looking green. But, I'm guessing. Going to call he dealer that took it on trade, see if they have any history.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Just buy a new piston kit and top end gasket kit. Get it over with......Besides the 220 piston problem, try loosing those 1.5" tall risers to see how it handles after that. I'm pretty sure that is your Clutch/throttle/suspension problem. It'll clear up at least one of those.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

bushx wrote:Thanks all. It was a good day.
Few things to work on, grabby clutch that didn't want to engage sometimes like the cable was hung up, or the plates hung up on the basket. Suspension seemed too stiff for me, previous owner must have been a big boy because I'm 200 without gear. Power was good. Little sputter under light load cruise, but revs out good. So, inspect clutch/lube cable. Check/ set sag. Set a baseline for damping settings. Go ride. Oh, might go with a lower riser too, they were a little high for my taste.
that bike looks happy.

I'm a bigger dude, and have stock springs. wanna trade ?

btw, the headlight is harder top find every day, keep it safe from damage