KDX200 E1 Restoration Project

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Andy_H

KDX200 E1 Restoration Project

Post by Andy_H »

Hi There

This E1 has been in my possession since 1990 and she has sat at the back of my garage for some 14 years. Up to that point, I used to race enduro and trail ride here in the UK fairly regularly but life changes, ie kids, distracted me from all that. Now it is time to give the old girl some TLC.

I never had any issues with this bike mechanically, the top end was serviced regularly and I never had to touch the bottom end as far as I can recall. It is the engine I seek advice on, what should I concentrate on. Will I need to complete a top and bottom end rebuild and what constitutes a 'rebuild' ? Are there areas that are more prone to ageing? Should I attempt to start the bike before any of this is completed?

One thing that worries me more than anything is dismantling the engine where there are steel bolts in the alloy casing. I have heard horror stories of stripping threads that cannot be helicoiled or retapped. Any advice to minimise potential damage would be much appreciated.

OK, enough questions, I'll post a picture when I figure out how to do it.
Great site by the way!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX200 E1 Restoration Project

Post by Julien D »

Welcome to the forums!

A complete top / bottom rebuild would be main bearings, rod kit, and top end kit. Probably a good idea on your 26 y/o machine. There are also various bearings in the bottom end / transmission which should be replaced if you have the bottom end opened up anyway. I would have no qualms about starting it up and seeing how it runs. Compression and leakdown tests go a long way towards determining what you will need to do.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would suggest that you:
clean out the fuel tank
check the air filter for cracking and foam deterioration (I suspect it needs a new air filter)
clean the carburetor
(did you spray foggin oil years ago or at any time it sat up?) try to get a look through the spark plug hole and exhaust pipe hole to see if it looks OK.
fresh transmission oil
fresh coolant
fresh fuel
inspect inside of pipe for rodent nest
new spark plug

After that, give it a crank.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

^^^ solid advice
Andy_H

Post by Andy_H »

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I began with cleaning the carb before I got your reply as I knew this would need some cleaning, and it did! Evaporated fuel and oil mix leaves a mess. Air filter is shot, no surprise. No nested critters although they did eat my race socks (nice thick wooley ones).

What octane fuel do you guys recommend 95 (standard) or 98 (super)?
Thanks again
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128