Tranny or clutch barking noise, please help.

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Gunmenu

Post by Gunmenu »

I recently bought a 2000 KDX 200 and I will first state relative info then state my problems. I put a new wisco piston in it, reeds look newer, clutch plates look good, kips was cleaned up. The problem I'm having is when I'm at a stop in first or second gear and start letting out the clutch under load " trying to pull up hill or giving it excessive throttle" it make a noise similar to a bark from a seal "the animal". I should also mention upon changing the oil I found metal flakes. Any and all help is appreciated. :prayer:
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Tranny or clutch barking noise, please help.

Post by Jaguar »

take off the right side cover. grab the clitch assembly and try to move it up and down. If there is movement then the bearing at the end of the clutch shaft (inside the tranny) is bad.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Gunmenu

Post by Gunmenu »

Are you referring to part #92046 on this link? http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-p ... ansmission
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I believe he's talking about the bearing in the case that's a roller bearing for that gear.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-p ... /crankcase

#601 (Jaguar correct me if thats not what you meant.)
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Gunmenu

Post by Gunmenu »

So far I've had a buddy doing the work but I just opened her up and there is a Slight movement when I grab the whole clutch assembly and rock up and down. When my buddy was in there looking for the problem last week he said there was a copper sleeve that was showing slight wear. He also thinks I should take off the clutch basket to see if the shaft is moving or if it's the clutch basket. What do you guys think?
Last edited by Gunmenu on 02:54 pm Apr 06 2015, edited 2 times in total.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Gunmenu wrote: He also thinks I should take off the clutch basket to see if the shaft is moving or if it's the clutch basket. What do you guys think?
I agree - you need to start taking things apart until you find the source of your problem.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

not the big clutch shaft bearing but the little dinky one at the far left side of the shaft. if tranny oil gets low then this bearing goes to hell
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Gunmenu

Post by Gunmenu »

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-p ... 200/clutch Part#92045? If not Jaguar could you please give me a part number to the one your referring to. Thanks for the help fella's
90kdx200

Post by 90kdx200 »

Gunmenu

Post by Gunmenu »

So I have removed the clutch basket and the shaft is solid but I did notice some wear on the basket and I think it rubbing against a gear.could this be the couse?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Can you take a picture of the wear?

Most baskets have machining/manufacturing marks on the outside of the basket that could be mistaken for rubbing.
Gunmenu

Post by Gunmenu »

This doesn't look like factory markings to me. I am going to file them down and see if the sound goes away because I'm out of ideas. Eather way the clutch basket is going to be replaced, the sleeve that goes into the center of the basket was showing a little wear and I think it's the culprit for letting the basket shift enough to rub against the gear. I'll keep you all posted.
Last edited by Gunmenu on 06:24 pm Apr 07 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Those marks on your basket are "normal". Those are from some part of the manufacturing or assembly process.

If you pull the larger cover off, you can re-install the clutch and verify it isn't hitting the gear.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ks#p157828
Gunmenu

Post by Gunmenu »

It isn't hitting the gear but could it under load? That's when I'm hearing the noise. You watched the video?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

If the clutch basket is moving that much under load to make contact with the gear, then there is your problem.

But again, those marks are common.

How big were the metal flakes in the oil? Where they aluminum or steel?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I also don't think that the aluminum basket rubbing against the steel gear would make the "barking" noise you described.

For that type of noise I'm picturing in my head, I would be looking at the friction plates. If the wrong type of oil was used, the frictions may be ruined. Did any of the steel drive plates look glazed or blued?

What type of oil did you use? Any idea what the PO used?
Gunmenu

Post by Gunmenu »

I think your right, that larger gear couldn't be rubbing on the basket because they are on a different plane and the gears would not be engaging the clutch but when I get home I'm going to look for other wear, maybe the smaller gear. I've been using 80wt but not sure about the po. I also am not sure what to look for on clutch plates... They were blackish... I'll do a google serch of images later unless someone on here has some good examples. I will also try to find out if the shavings at aluminum or steal. The shavings were extremely small. Almost like powder.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Gunmenu wrote:I will also try to find out if the shavings at aluminum or steal. The shavings were extremely small. Almost like powder.
That is probably just the worn friction material.

If it were me, I would inspect everything I could to see if anything obvious jumps out before spending any money. But I have a feeling that a new clutch kit with the proper oil ( I prefer ATF) will take care of the noise.
Gunmenu

Post by Gunmenu »

If I end up replacing the clutch plates what's recommend for the KDX as far as a good company or should I buy oem? I mainly ride tight trails and technical hill climbs.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I have been using Tusk kits lately with no problems.