My new to me 2006 KDX200

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Jnelson
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

My new to me 2006 KDX200

Post by Jnelson »

Long time lurker first time poster. I am a father of 4 who long ago had many toys to play with. Those toys were all sold when we started our family, but for good reason. My son is now 6, and I bought him a crf50 to learn how to ride on so "of course" I had to have something to ride along with him. When I started my search I looked at a crf250x which, when it ran, felt great. Unfortunately the seller couldn't get it started easy enough for me to feel confident that it didn't have valve problems. At this point I realized I needed something more user friendly with less maintenance and upkeep than the common/popular 4 stroke dirt bikes had.

I had long known of the kdx reliability and fun factor but had only rode one kdx220. I started looking for a kdx and the first few I found were either worn out examples, or sold within an hour of posting (long before I had a chance to look at them). When I found this one I immediately gave the guy a call only to find out that he had already promised someone else a first chance at it. I told him to keep me posted and if the guy didn't make it I would come look at it. As luck would have it the guy couldn't get off work in time to look at it, so me and a buddy hopped in the truck and headed out. From what I could tell it looked like a well taken care of bike, that ran like a bat out of hell. The tires were relatively new, and the sprockets and chain were in good shape. The linkages, wheel bearings, and shocks all looked good with no signs of abnormal movement. It has an fmf gnarly pipe, an fmf power core silencer, and the air box lid was removed (the seller included the original air box lid). It is jetted with a 158 main, 48 pilot, and needle in the middle position. It has bark busters, pro taper handlebars, and new grips installed. The seller even had the original owners manual and title of the bike. The story of the bike is the guy I bought it from is the second owner. He bought it from the original owner to try to convert his son to two strokes. He was selling it because his son liked his xr250r more :roll: (his loss, my gain). The original owner bought it for his daughter to trail ride with him (I own a girls bike :oops: ). He made me a smoking deal on it that I couldn't pass up so now I am the proud new owner of a 2006 kdx200. I have owned many four strokes before, and only one two stroke which was a worn out kx125. Any advice on maintenance and modifications would be greatly appreciated. It's going to take a while to get used to it, as it's much faster than anything I have owned before... even including a heavily modified yfz450r four wheeler. Anyways without being even more long winded here are some pictures of her:

And some of my son's crf50:

2006 kdx200
2005 CRF50 (Son's)
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

My new to me 2006 KDX200

Post by jjavaman »

Looks like you and the boy are going to have a lot of fun.get the manual and you should be set. Nice looking ride you have!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: My new to me 2006 KDX200

Post by Sullyfam »

Nice bike and already with some nice mods. If this is the fastest bike you've owned, then I would just focus on getting the suspension dialed, which most likely means stiffer front springs. You could do a fork swap, but I would start simple and just spring to your weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Very nice! Looks to have low time and she is the last year built! :supz: Awesome find! :grin:

Welcome to the KDX family! :partyman:
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Welcome aboard. Looks great but don't overlook putting a cotter pin through the rear axle nut.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Skid plate would be a good idea as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jnelson
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

My new to me 2006 KDX200

Post by Jnelson »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the welcome. I think I agree... I will focus on suspension & protection first. I initially thought I wanted to send the head & carb off to rb design but now think I need a season of riding under my belt first.

Any suggestions on a good skid plate? I had one on another bike before and it rattled awful and was just in general not well made.
Also any suggestions on a fender tool pack or rear tool pack. The previous owner didn't have the factory rear fender bag.
2006 kdx200
2005 CRF50 (Son's)
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

My new to me 2006 KDX200

Post by G22inSC »

Jnelson wrote:Any suggestions on a good skid plate?

I have a Works Connection Aluminum skid plate. Has been rock solid with no complaints, other than oil changes get a little annoying and messy since I don't remove it first.
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
NewKDX

Post by NewKDX »

I have the OEM fender pack I can sell to you for a good price!! Are you interested?
Jnelson
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Jnelson »

NewKDX wrote:I have the OEM fender pack I can sell to you for a good price!! Are you interested?
I was looking more for a kind that I can strap on because I will eventually be going to a "mx" style rear fender that won't have t he holes for the factory one. PM me pictures and price though I may still want to pick it up.
2006 kdx200
2005 CRF50 (Son's)
Jnelson
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

My new to me 2006 KDX200

Post by Jnelson »

G22inSC wrote:
Jnelson wrote:Any suggestions on a good skid plate?

I have a Works Connection Aluminum skid plate. Has been rock solid with no complaints, other than oil changes get a little annoying and messy since I don't remove it first.
Does it extend out over the lower frame rails...looking at the pictures on their website it appear to be inside of them which seems like it wouldn't offer any protection. Also do you still have your zip tye speedo block off that was in your gallery? Didn't know if you wanted to sell it now that you have the kx front end. Btw love the bike...so clean!
2006 kdx200
2005 CRF50 (Son's)
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

My new to me 2006 KDX200

Post by G22inSC »

It does not extend past the frame rails but that is the way I like it. I extends out to the center of the frame rails such that nothing can penetrate between the plate and the frame rails to reach the engine case. The water pump and ignition cover are protected enough (in my opinion) by the factory welded frame loops on either side of the frame. I know it would just be a little more weight to extend further out, but every little bit adds up and can definitely be felt at the end of a long day of riding. I took a quick pic to hopefully show the plate's coverage. Couldn't get a better shot since it is currently sitting on the stand with no front or rear suspension installed.

Sorry but I don't have the spedo plug anymore. I gifted it away several years ago when the KX front end first went on. It was just a few dollars from Zip Ty racing back then.

'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Nice bike! Four kids you say? I remember bringing home that first CRF 50, which led to me getting a KDX, which then led to my wife getting....oh hell, to make a long story short I have bikes piled on bikes now :)
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I have the works connection skid plate on my E series and a wider one I got from RMATV on my H series. I prefer the WC and just cut a copy of it out of a cutting board for my son's 220.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Heres a pic of my rear bag. Its a Moose I got from Rockymountain atv. They have many. I have it straped to my rear rack ,but it has hooks to hold it down to any fender.

Jnelson
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Jnelson »

6 Riders wrote:Nice bike! Four kids you say? I remember bringing home that first CRF 50, which led to me getting a KDX, which then led to my wife getting....oh hell, to make a long story short I have bikes piled on bikes now :)
That sounds awesome, exactly what I was hoping for with my family! I wish I could talk the wife into a bike but she is having no part in it as of yet. I barely talked her into riding on the crf50. One of my 4 year old twin daughters on the other hand, took to it better than my 6yr old son did!! We may have to look into another crf50 sooner than later! The look on her face when she was riding it made for one proud Dad :supz: .

G22inSC; Thanks for the picture...that shows a lot better than the picture on their website the coverage area. I think I may go this route seems like there are a lot of people with them on here.

s10gto wrote:Heres a pic of my rear bag. Its a Moose I got from Rockymountain atv. They have many. I have it straped to my rear rack ,but it has hooks to hold it down to any fender.
Thats one of the three I have narrowed it down to. I like the tusk and the Acerbis one also.

I think I may have to call in sick tomorrow....feeling a little spring fever going on! Gotta get used to this bike after all.
2006 kdx200
2005 CRF50 (Son's)
NewKDX

Post by NewKDX »

Are you still interested in the OEM rear fender pack?
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

6 Riders wrote:Nice bike! Four kids you say? I remember bringing home that first CRF 50, which led to me getting a KDX, which then led to my wife getting....oh hell, to make a long story short I have bikes piled on bikes now :)

:grin: I remember those days so well. Bought my 1st KDX a CRF50 and CRF70 for my 2 oldest boys and the adventure began. Now, 5 kids and my 3 oldest boys rip! My 16 year old has a nice '93 KDX200 that he loves, so still a KDX in our garage. Awesome memories and we still love riding together as a family.

Last years week long riding/camping trip.
'
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.

I live close by. I may be able to help with some tips and maintenance. I used to work on KDX suspension and still have some spare parts / tools / etc., so if you ever want to get the suspension in better shape, just let me know.

By the way, is that the one that was on craigslist in Cullman a few weeks ago??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jnelson
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Jnelson »

Jason wrote:Welcome to the forums.

I live close by. I may be able to help with some tips and maintenance. I used to work on KDX suspension and still have some spare parts / tools / etc., so if you ever want to get the suspension in better shape, just let me know.

By the way, is that the one that was on craigslist in Cullman a few weeks ago??

Jason,

Thanks for the offer....I may take you up on it. The suspension feels good so far but I don't know what it is set up for. I'm 160lbs and as far as I know the forks are factory and have the factory settings/springs. I have also not played with any of the settings for fear of messing something up.

Yes this is the one that was in Dora Al, but the guy had it listed in the Cullman craigslist section. It was about a week or so ago. Guy was real nice and seemed real knowledgeable about the bike and bikes in general. He also mentioned this site so he may be a member.

Thanks
2006 kdx200
2005 CRF50 (Son's)