Newbie Here

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
sausages

Newbie Here

Post by sausages »

Hello my name is Paul and I have just purchase a 2004 kdx220, new to the off road world. Here is my question, I have not looked at the carb set up as yet but the spec of the bike is a 35 airstriker carb, airbox lid removed, burly expansion pipe and fmf silencer with boysen reeds.

What as a starting point should the car settings be ie pilot jet, main jet needle etc...

Can anyone help me out please
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Newbie Here

Post by Julien D »

Hello, and welcome to KDXRIDER. It is difficult to say what your starting point should be, as that is not the stock carb for your bike. My guess would be whatever jets you have in there are fine for a starting point, just follow the jetting guide from there and get it right the first time. Proper jets will depend on your temps, altitude, bikes condition, and your riding style. It's pretty much impossible for anyone to tell you what jets you should be using.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

I agree, if the po put that carb on, chances are you are good to go. What colour is your plug?
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

look at this and other jetting guides: http://www.kenoconnorracing.com/Carbure ... tting.html
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Concur with jjava, if the PO went through the effort of aftermarket exhaust, reeds, and an airstrike he hopefully did the jetting work already. Just run through the jetting guide (it works the same regardless) and enjoy. Welcome to the family!