Hi everyone

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
rentonpeter

Hi everyone

Post by rentonpeter »

Just wanted to actually introduce myself and my bike. I have been stalking these forums for a couple of years but never posted anything. I bought my stock 97 KDX200 about 2 and a half years ago. It was in poor shape and got even worse after lending it to a friend. It came back with the kick starter broken, the suspension linkage seized and the motor with pretty much no compression.

Since that time I have done a fair bit of work to the bike to fix it up and make it rideable (also a little prettier). It was a slow process due to funds and available time.

I started by pulling the motor down and rebuilding it, replacing every bearing in the gearbox and bottom end. The bore was badly scored so I sent the jug away to get sleeved and a new piston. I went this route as it allows me to do quite a few rebuilds without having to replate. At the same time I fitted a Vforce reed cage and new air filter. As the kick starter was stuffed I ended up replacing it with the KX125 kickstart which I had read about on the forum.

While I was doing this I read about doing a fork swap from a KX and found some KX250 forks from about the same vintage on Ebay. I had the forks rebuilt with fresh seals and apparently they are in good nick so I got lucky buying something from the other side of the world online. I swapped the headstem in the clamp, which fortunately didn’t require knurling, and had a spacer made to suit the upper clamp to fit both bits. Instead of attempting to fit the KDX wheel was going to be a bit difficult so instead I swapped to a KX250 wheel, brake calliper, line and digital speedo. I had to make up some new brackets to make it look decent and put an aftermarket headlight over the top.

I also went through and had the rear shock rebuilt and replaced all the suspension linkage bushes and bearings.

I wanted to tart the bike up a little so swapped the rear guard out and put an LED brake light on and small indicators. Most of this was for looks but the small lights won’t get snagged in the type of riding I do.

I have now got the bike registered and have taken it out a few times. It still needs a few things dialled in and reworked to make it work how I want it. I think the bike is more capable than me as I haven’t been riding regularly for almost those 2 years. Hopefully that will change a bit.

Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Sullyfam »

Nice bike and looks like it was down time well spent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

where did you get the setup for the rear brake light, turn signals, and license plate holder?
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
KDXRIPPER

Post by KDXRIPPER »

Nice bike and welcome to the site,what part of Qld are you in. I'm in the Ipswich area but go up to Glasshouse/Beerburrum/Bellthorpe,also Gap creek with another Kdxrider.KDX Dan

cheers Peter.
rentonpeter

Post by rentonpeter »

sorry about my absence. Have been away for work. I got the indicators from the local bike shop and the brake light from supercheap of all places. It is one of the same ones they sell on ebay for about $20. The rear fender is a maier one. I made a small bracket from the seat frame to sit the front mount of the light and bolted the rear 2 mounts of the light directly to the rear of the fender. It has held on well so far. I have been loving riding the bike. KDXRIPPER, I used to live in Brisbane and ride at Glasshouse but have moved up to Yeppoon (on the coast, east of Rockhampton). I used to live on Gap Creek Road and mountain bike all through the reserve there. Some nice places to ride :grin: just a shame its such a drive to get there now (7 hours).