Got me a slightly used 220

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Confederate

Post by Confederate »

Well I picked up a slightly used 97 KDX 220 for $600. The guy I picked it up from thought he would make it all new by putting a top end on the motor. He also put on new tires, tubes, chain, sprockets and brake pads. It fires up first kick every time, idles good and runs thru all the gears smoothly. Then he realized that he had just started cause with all the newfound power the bike was sketchy to ride now. The wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, suspension linkage bearings are not only loose but completely shot. Flops all over the place. The shock looked like it had the original 97 fluid in it, at least what was left in it. One fork tube has a dent in it. The bars are bent. Motor runs good though. Like I said he had someone do the top end after he got the bike so it runs good. It also came with a FMF woods pipe with the factory muffler on it. Got it torn down and ordered parts for the drive train and shock, waiting on them to arrive. Also ordered a set of forks on fleabay hoping to get at least one good fork tube from that. Gave $100 for forks and triples from a 2001. Thought I would take my chances there cause a new tube cost $358. Plus will give me some spare fork parts just in case, they are supposed to be delivered today by fed ex. Once I get it running and riding good I'll have to replace all of the plastic cause it is shot too. This is what you call a unique fixer upper opportunity. Maybe I'll have her out for a test ride by spring that is unless I run out of money first. Wish me luck. By the way this is my second KDX in the stable but the other one is a different beast altogether, it is a 1983 KDX 250. It is heavy, powerful, and has drum brakes that won't stop. Can't wait to get this one out on the trails once it is safe to ride.
vintagekawi

Re: Got me a slightly used 220

Post by vintagekawi »

Sounds like a nice project, get it going and have a great time! I have a 96 with a fmf gnarly, sudco carb and stiffer springs. Its a great all around bike.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

I picked up a 97 220 a couple years ago. Mines got a PC pipe on it and I did the piston and got the rob mods done this winter...what a great bike.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Confederate

Post by Confederate »

Well my forks came in and I must say they are beautiful. Just gonna change the fluid and put them on. Just gonna put the originals up for spare parts. Waiting on all the bearings to come in from the local kawasaki dealer. Looks kinda like a kdx220 exploded in my shop right now.