New KDX owner says hello...

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Mitchell184

Post by Mitchell184 »

Hi folks

New here, and wanted to share my KDX experience with people who can appreciate it. I’m not sure, but I think I scored big-time last week when I bought a 1990 KDX200 (E-model?) with 380 actual miles on the odo. The mechanic I bought it from even cleaned its carb and rejetted it, and all for just under $2000. That’s a lot of money for a 25 year-old dirt bike, but given its condition (orig front tire, plastic, grips, etc.) and how good the thing is overall, I’m thinking it was a decent price.

I’m well over 200 pounds, so the suspension’s gotta be done. Fredette seems to have good info here, stiffer springs and such, and engine-wise, I think I’m gonna do the pipe and reed tweeks to make the engine rip a little. It’s stock now, and seems a bit constrained exhaust- and intake-wise, especially for faster desert work. I’d also like to moto the thing on occasion, and I’m thinking the bike might work fine there with suspension and motor changes. Anyone have experience here?

Looking forward to ownership, and seeing all the ins and outs from the experts here. Thanks!

Mitch Boehm
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New KDX owner says hello...

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. Congratulations on your purchase.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Mitchell184 wrote: I’d also like to moto the thing on occasion, and I’m thinking the bike might work fine there with suspension and motor changes. Anyone have experience here?
As far as power goes, get a weisco, reed cage and desert pipe, make sure the KIPS is nice and clean and then jet accordingly. It will have plenty of power with that set up. Oh, and I recommend getting a couple water pump seals for it as well, they tend to leak when stressed hard (like motocross).
As far as suspension....You'll probably want to do a fork swap as the E series forks are lacking, even with proper springs. I also want to point out that the rake of the KDX is short. When jumping, if you get the nose down, it becomes very easy to tuck the front tire upon landing. I'm no MXer, but this scenario scares the :toimonster: out of me and keeps me from wanting to get air. I did it once and the bike hit hard, I was barely able to stay aboard, and that stopped me from doing any big jumps for the rest of, well, time really. I race with a friend and he clears jumps easily on his, but keeps the bike low and flat.

Enjoy the "new" ride :boogie:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

I used to MX my KDX. Click on my signature link for suggestions on how to make it MX-ready.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
ArkAngel

Post by ArkAngel »

Welcome
KDX 200
KDX 250