KDX Newbie

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
KDX4ever

KDX Newbie

Post by KDX4ever »

Hello,
I am new to the group and have 3 KDX 200 cycles, a 1991, ( my bike,) 1993 (spare,) and 1995 (my son's). I live in Southern California, but frequent the desert in the winter months. I have raced both motocross and desert when young, but now retired to desert trail riding with my son and his friends. All 3 KDX's come on our trips. The reason for the KDX is it was highly recommended by a friend who ran motorcyclist magazine for 15 years as the editor in chief. Everything he said about this bike was true to form. They are just really good bikes, all around. I am interested in learning more about the KIPS valve, and performing routine valve maintenance when needed. After 40 years of riding dirt bikes, the KDX is one the best so far !

KDX4ever
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX Newbie

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. :partyman:

Congratulations on having 3 KDX's.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KDX Newbie

Post by kx200 »

for what its worth you 91 & 93 power valves are very hard to find.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Welcome to KDXRIDER, glad to have you onboard! As for the E series KIPS valves, have a look here....

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=17339
KDX4ever

Post by KDX4ever »

It's funny....Two trips ago, first time out with the "spare" KDX, it just sat by out trailer, unused, until a advanced rider in our group, requested to take it for a spin. Two hours later, he finally gave it back. He rides a KTM 530 and now wants to buy our little green spare bike to replace his KTM. He loved it that much, but no sale.
This bike was totally unmolested, bone stock, woman owned since it rolled off the showroom in 1993, was in perfect condition, less than 1,000 easy miles, and stored in a garage, when my son and I purchased it for 600.00. No wonder. Went through the bike, performed all the maintained tasks to get it up to speed, but what a fun little time machine perfectly suited for our rides in the California desert.

If possible, can I post a picture of the 3 KDX's on the forum ? If anybody can assist me with this, I would really appreciate this.
thank you,
KDX4ever
KDX4ever

Post by KDX4ever »

Thank you for the link for the valve. Right now, all 3 bikes appear to be working properly, but I want to make sure they are properly maintained. My son and I do not ride these bikes hard, as they are mainly trail bikes. But I am assuming the carbon build up in the exhaust port should periodically checked, If so, how often ?
please advise when you get a minute....
thanks!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

To post a picture you need to use a hosting site like photobucket. I've used facebook before as well.
It's not hard to check the kips valves periodically. Start by removing the pipe and looking in there, if you see anything strange it's time to dig deeper. You can also check function on the 95 by opening the "disk" on the left side of the cylinder and giving the mechanism in there a turn. With the E series, I will take the right hand cover off, disconnect the activation rod and see if the valves move easily.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDX4ever

KDX Newbie

Post by KDX4ever »

Thank you for your information regarding the KIPS valve inspection. Will check them out and go from there.
b' regards,
KDX4ever
KDXBADASS

KDX Newbie

Post by KDXBADASS »

Welcome!!!! Great Bikes KDX's are. Just picked up one and ride in the desert as well. Enjoy :supz:
KDX4ever

KDX Newbie

Post by KDX4ever »

Thank you for your reply. Love the desert, but not much green, but lots of dust.

Attached below is a short video taken via go pro helmet camera, over New Years,

Thank you,
KDX4ever
Brock@BDK
Supporting Member

Post by Brock@BDK »

KDX4ever wrote:Thank you for the link for the valve. Right now, all 3 bikes appear to be working properly, but I want to make sure they are properly maintained. My son and I do not ride these bikes hard, as they are mainly trail bikes. But I am assuming the carbon build up in the exhaust port should periodically checked, If so, how often ?
please advise when you get a minute....
thanks!
I couldn't help you on intervals, and of course this will change depending on how well your carb is set up.
One thing I would say on this point though is that the most often overlooked part of cleaning out for the valves is the small, blind hole at the bottom of the valve cavity which the pivot pin of the vertical valves sit in.
This is mainly because they are a total pig to clean (well it is blind after all).
My policy would be to get a cheap drill bit just the right size to go in that hole - flatten off the point of the drill bit on a linisher and use a battery powered drill to loosen it all off in there with a bit of solvent or something to help get it all loosened off before blowing it out with an airline.
I would however strongly recommend sending the piston down to bdc, shoving an old rag in top and putting your finger over the port which leads to the cylinder whilst doing the above.
Of course the operation becomes significantly easier with the barrel off the bike.

All the best
Mitchell184

KDX Newbie

Post by Mitchell184 »

Hey, this is that editor (I think), but I'm not quite sure who this is! Glad you're liking the bikes, and hey, I just bought one, too.
Mitchell184
KDXBADASS

KDX Newbie

Post by KDXBADASS »

Welcome to the Group!!!! I live in Central Calif and go to the desert as well. I have a 96 200 that I just love. The KDX is awesome bike.
I always go to Spangler Hills and Charlies Place off Trona Rd out of Johannisburg. Maybe I'll see you on the trail. Have fun :mrgreen: