New owner in Alabama

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

New owner in Alabama

Post by JFortner5 »

I figured I'd make my introduction since I own a bike now, I've been lurking here for a while.

I picked up a 2004 KDX220 today. I'm the 3rd owner. The guy I bought it from also sold me a CRF50 for my 5 year old son. I was pretty comfortable buying from him since we've had a good experience with the 50.

It's pretty clean, seems pretty tight, and runs really nice. I'm not a huge fan of the paint he decided to use on the side panels and rear fender but I'll deal with that later.

I can't wait to go ride a little bit this weekend. I am going to put a Wiseco piston in it soon just because I know how the 220's are. I'm looking forward to working on it anyway.

Here she is, it's the sellers pics it was a little dark when I got home.

Joey

2003 KDX 220R
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New owner in Alabama

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

Nice bike!

What part of AL are you in?
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Re: New owner in Alabama

Post by JFortner5 »

Thanks!

I live about 25 miles south of Birmingham.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New owner in Alabama

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

Ok cool. My wife is from Mobile.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congrats on the new bike from a Huntsville area guy.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I figured I'd post a pic of my own. I just spent the afternoon/evening rearranging my garage to fit everything in. The one car garage doesn't do to well with lawn equipment, kids toys, and of course my toys.

Joey

2003 KDX 220R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Hey, you're right down around minooka then right?

A few of us are going to ride minooka Saturday. You're welcome to come along if you like.

http://www.minookapark.org/

Take a left after the guard shack, to the overlook pavilion. Should be a red Toyota pickup and a red focus wagon parked there by lunch time.

If you're not sure just ask the gate keeper where we're at, he's great.

Nice bike, enjoy the ride man!

(Pm me if you need directions or whatever)

[emoji3]
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I know exactly where that pavilion is. We've probably been there at the same time lol.

My neighbor was nice enough to let me ride his extra atv while I was bikless so we're out there quite a bit.

I doubt I'll make it this weekend I want to get rid of the stock piston before I ride it much. I'd love to come though.

Where do you live? I'm in Calera about a mile from the intersection of 31 and 25.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

JFortner5 wrote:I know exactly where that pavilion is. We've probably been there at the same time lol.

My neighbor was nice enough to let me ride his extra atv while I was bikless so we're out there quite a bit.

I doubt I'll make it this weekend I want to get rid of the stock piston before I ride it much. I'd love to come though.

Where do you live? I'm in Calera about a mile from the intersection of 31 and 25.
Sounds good, I'm at the corner of 459/280. Get that piston replaced and holler at me. I know a few tight tight woods areas to go play in up around Birmingham, gardendale, Tuscaloosa, northeast Georgia and southeast Tennessee. We're heading up to west point in March. Camp, ride, night ride, it's a real got off a good time. Google "natra" and look for the videos, they have tons of gray single track
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Ok yeah you're not too far. I actually work up in Hoover.

Yeah I'm gonna order the parts next week. You probably don't want me riding with you anyway you'd be waiting on me all day.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
TNKDX

Post by TNKDX »

Nice bike! Welcome from TN. You guys come on up to Loretta Lynn's spring ride. It is a blast.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

What and when is the Loretta Lynn's spring ride? Obviously I know they have the amateur nationals there and used to have the GNCC (didn't see it on the schedule this year), but what is the spring ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Sorry, just searched and answered my own question [emoji16]

http://www.mtdr.org/MTDREventsList.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

TNKDX wrote:Nice bike! Welcome from TN. You guys come on up to Loretta Lynn's spring ride. It is a blast.
We'll be coming up to natra before it gets hot. The LL event is on my list but not possible this year. We'll have a small group of about seven guys, most of which are senior class, and we really enjoyed our time with the natra landscape and people the two times we've been there.
My group did ironman at the benefit last fall. Great race, perfect weekend, and very pleasant hosts. We refer to natra stuff as "perfect weekends" in conversation.

We will be back.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

You guys ride with any beginners? I'd love to go with a group but I'd hate to be the one holding people up.

Have fun and be safe at Minooka.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

What a week, got another new toy to play with. Not mine really but my father-in-law was just given a 2001 Honda 300EX. He got it to be able to ride with my son. The good news is its in my garage and I have the keys lol. He asked if he could keep it here and I had zero problem with that hehe.

I'm more of a bike guy but I have owned and enjoyed sport quads before. It's nice to have a choice anyway.

This thing is mint too. For free I expected a junker but it's really nice.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

JFortner5 wrote:You guys ride with any beginners? I'd love to go with a group but I'd hate to be the one holding people up.

Have fun and be safe at Minooka.

Jerks get ejected from the group pretty quickly. ...

Usually the newbie rider feels comfortable enough to ask for help, or an easier route.

You crash, I crash, we all crash, there just isn't whining.

If you don't have fun is because you don't want to.

:)
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Oh I'm sure I'd have some fun I just am a pretty green rider.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
ICRage42
Supporting Member

New owner in Alabama

Post by ICRage42 »

Hi and Welcome!

So lets talk about Rangers :lol:

Heres a summer pic. Sold a kid that has the ranger next to mine a set of 14 inch tires I had from my 92 ranger. Mines a 99 and I have done a ton to it so far. I did the live axle swap. 02 hubs and axles. I put all new brakes and shocks on it. Fixed the exhaust and also did the throttle cable mod and fixed a ton of dash issues. Changed the axle and transfer fluids. New u joints and greased the slip joint good.

Engine has issues and so does the tranny. Literally got rooked but trying to make the best of it. However I have my eye on a explorer 5.0 setup and trying to get the whole vehicle. Since I will also need the driveshaft and other things. So far for trip if all goes well I will remove the jump seats and perhaps the passenger seat for room. I am still looking for a cap for a decent price I don't see paying 400 dollars for a truck cap. I picked up some brake parts for the rear caliper mustang swap from a pull a part here. Snagged an explorer rack while there and also spotted some mercury mountaineer seats I wanted to swap into my cab. Would really love some heated seats. I have to make a trip to harbor freight and get the inserts for the roof rack Im going to put on. I figure in a month I should have the 3 inch body lift on and also on some 31s. Maybe 33s.

Ive owned the truck for a year now and for what I have done on it so far is stellar so I am happy. Couple that with a kdx addiction and some other toys. I am going to make it a bit of a pre runner. Just because I have found some glass front fenders for 100 bucks. Figured I needed front fenders anyways and bed has the typical ohio rust so chopping it for some long travel seems logical. :busted:

Btw nice ranger. I always liked the oxford white. Shows the mud better :supz: Any plans on mods for it? That would look kick ass with just some nice 31s on it. You might want to check out the classifieds on frf I did at one time seen some bushwacker flares already painted you could pick up. I find a ton of good parts on there and most people who deal there are pretty decent. Read the forums tho because a lot of them have moved on to different things.

Ok and Im done .....I posted about a kdx on the ford ranger forums and a ranger on the kdx forums.

Old people and computers

:bravo:
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Lol yeah that is funny were on the same two forums.

When it comes time to buy tires I am gonna go with 31's, and a torsion bar crank to level it out. I may try and buy some black soft 8's when I do that too. Only other plans are to get a bed liner of some kind, maybe a camper shell, and trailer so I don't have to load bikes in the bed.

I have a Ranger problem though, this is my 5th one. Only my 2nd KDX though.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R