New '96 KDX200 Owner

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Mototool

New '96 KDX200 Owner

Post by Mototool »

Proud new owner of a '96 KDX200 and can't wait to hit the trails. I've previously owned and ridden everything from a CR125 to a YZ390, this is my first green machine. I'm about 6'-2" 200lbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Will post before and after pics asap.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New '96 KDX200 Owner

Post by 6 Riders »

Spring it for your weight! Jet it.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXBADASS

Post by KDXBADASS »

Congratulations!!! Get some good Marine grade grease and check and clean and grease steering head bearings, swingarm pivot bearings, and shock linkage. Awesome bike!!!
Mototool

New '96 KDX200 Owner

Post by Mototool »

Thanks for the advice guys! Bye the way, does anybody know of a good aftermarket kickstand and headlight option?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

New '96 KDX200 Owner

Post by 6 Riders »

Mototool wrote:Thanks for the advice guys! Bye the way, does anybody know of a good aftermarket kickstand and headlight option?
:lol: Kick stand? You too? I think that there is one kickstand available on the entire continent and these guy keep swapping it between each other :lol:
Does it have the stock headlight? A lot of guys are buying KLR/X clones off of E-bay and having good luck w/them. Almost any headlight assembly, that uses straps, will work though.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Mototool

Post by Mototool »

NO!!! What is it with guys taking the kickstands and headlights off? Thanks for the input, I've been checking some out. Found any preference?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Mototool wrote:NO!!! What is it with guys taking the kickstands and headlights off? Thanks for the input, I've been checking some out. Found any preference?
They take them off for racing. Or after crashing in a race...either way.
I fortunately have all 3 of my kick stands. My son's bike (01) came with a UFO headlight, he didn't like it, so he stole the stocker off of my 93 (completely different style) and It actually looks good on the H series bikes.
I like these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/35W-White-Off-R ... 51&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Dirt-Bike ... 3a&vxp=mtr
Just look for them in green (if you want).
Rockymountainatv and other on-line retailers also carry after market headlights, but name brand and green is harder to find.
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Post by DirtDaddy »

I'm guessing you might want a taller seat. We have the Guts Racing tall seat foam. Works perfect for us at 6'2. Much easier on the knees and transitioning from sitting to standing.
KDXBADASS

New '96 KDX200 Owner

Post by KDXBADASS »

6 Riders wrote:
Mototool wrote:Thanks for the advice guys! Bye the way, does anybody know of a good aftermarket kickstand and headlight option?
:lol: Kick stand? You too? I think that there is one kickstand available on the entire continent and these guy keep swapping it between each other :lol:
Does it have the stock headlight? A lot of guys are buying KLR/X clones off of E-bay and having good luck w/them. Almost any headlight assembly, that uses straps, will work though.
I just ordered one from Kawasaki. Here is one on ebay. Looks good. Acerbis UFO Baja Designs all make headlights that will work fine.
I dont know why people take that stuff off? LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KDX200 ... 99&vxp=mtr
Mototool

Post by Mototool »

Thanks KDXBADASS, I actually just ordered that one the other day, should show up any day now and I'll let you guys now how it works out
KDXBADASS

Post by KDXBADASS »

No Problem!! Let me know how it works. Where is Sunland Ca? I live in Merced Ca. Maybe Ill see you on the trails?
Mototool

Post by Mototool »

Sunland is in LA, just north of Glendale on the edge of SFV
Mototool

Post by Mototool »

Alright, went for my second ride today and the bike ran fantastic again, except for one minor problem. For some reason it's refusing to shift back down into 1st or 2nd. 3rd and 4th no problem, just won't down shift. any ideas?
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

If it upshifts fine, I would change the fluid before assuming the worst. Either just fresh fluid, or change to something else.