Considering a KDX

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
tcepilot

Considering a KDX

Post by tcepilot »

Well, I currently ride a dual sport. I'm sure few of you have heard of it but here goes... A Yamaha tw200 "trail way":
Strange but can keep up with real trail bikes. Since its a 4 banger I'm hesitant to move to 2 strokes. But a kdx being so affordable it seems to be the best option. So what is the hardest part about riding a 2 stroke? Everyone I ask works it up to seem like you are riding a rocket that has one speed.. FAST.
Bitteeinit

Re: Considering a KDX

Post by Bitteeinit »

Having recently done the transition from 200cc 4-stroke (dual sport daily commuter) to the kdx (used exclusively for trails), I'd say it's not that big a deal. I went for 2-3 short 1-1.5 hour test rides which left me on the fence. But I fell in love when I went on my first big (6 hour) ride. Also had new springs and risers which helped. But the kdx isn't like a CR or other mx 2-strokes, which can be downright scary to ride for the novice. It's much more progressive and has tons of torque. Feels like I can climb up a tree in first. You'll find yourself hitting the band a lot in the straightaways in the open (which is FUN), and lugging it around in trails. The only thing I don't like is that, being a smoker, it gobbles gas. But it'll beat your yamaha everywhere else.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I believe the majority of the references to 2-strokes being a challenge to ride are in regards to those built for MX. On the trails a MX bike can be a handful even when set up for trail riding. It's simply a much more aggressive motor. A KDX on the other hand was a purpose built 2-stroke trail bike. Very tame by comparison, but has enough of a wild side to keep things interesting. It's really not a big deal to transition into a KDX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tcepilot

Post by tcepilot »

Thanks for the replies! A kdx really seems to be the way to go for me. I have always loved 2 strokes. Maybe I'll buy one in the spring or some other time next year. Don't really have the funds just yet!
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

I love me a tw200, so much fun, BUT, you're comparing apples to oranges. And yes, a kdx will eat more gas because it makes 10x the power of a TW. At any rate, you'll be fine, at least everyone here is.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com