Hello from the UK and figuring out KDX200 model year

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
acid

Post by acid »

Sending a hello from the UK to you chaps. I'm originally from Germany, been living in the UK for about a year now.

I'm riding bikes for 8 years. Recently bought a nasty little green laner, a KDX200. Condition is ****, but it runs and I am capable of reparing bikes.

However I'm struggling to find out the correct model and year of the bike. It's watercooled, so must be 1989+, the sticker on the LHS steering head says "Made in ze Japan, DX 200 G". Engine number KHI DX200 and the frame number according to the V5 is DX200A. Model according to V5 is DX200-A1 :hmm:

You can tell I am slightly confused because things don't make very much sense. Maybe it had an exchange engine? The only DX200G related model I found on wemoto.com is "KDX 200 SR F2/G3/G4/G5 (DX 200 G) (import) 90-93".

Hope some of you experts can tell me what the $#@& I am riding here?

Cheers!
Last edited by acid on 11:00 am Nov 27 2014, edited 4 times in total.
Bitteeinit

Re: Hello from the UK and figuring out KDX200 model year

Post by Bitteeinit »

I'm not an expert but sure sounds like an SR. I have an SR and is also has DX200G on the side. They seem to be completely different from the E and H models the North American market got. For example, mine has upside down forks despite being a 92 (they were only on the 93-94 models in the US). Do you have blinkers and rear (passenger) footpegs on it? A speedo? Mine had all of the above (though blinkers and footpegs have been removed, and the speedo doesn't work. I like the look for the dash though, so I kept it on. Might get a new cable at some point).
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

from Germany ?

where abouts ?

growing up in the Netherlands german market 80CC blocks were a popular upgrade for our Honda MTs

a few pics of your bike would really help
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. Whatever it is, it is the first year of tat series, with those numbers.

What is a V5?? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
acid

Post by acid »

V5 are the bike's registration papers.

I'm afraid I have taken the bike apart already, so don't have too many pictures :rolleyes:. It looks like this one, but decals and tank spoilers missing. No speedo, but you can connect a cable to the front wheel hub. black part from underneath the rear fender missing and no blinkers. Does have passender footpeg mounts but those fitted aren't stock at all.

The muffler is like shown on the picture with a FMF fatty header pipe fitted. Strangely it has a WP rear shock. Guess that's not stock?

Loads of questions. Hope the pictures give you a hint. Thanks for your help! :wink:
Last edited by acid on 04:54 pm Nov 11 2014, edited 2 times in total.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

definitely an SR version, they were the only ones with a steel gas tank

the split on the throttle cable is pretty common for autolubers
(I remember having a couple of Suzuki TSXs when I was younger and they had the same set up)
one cable operates the carb slide, the other advances the amount of 2 stroke oil that is being added into the intake tract

if there is a plug on the carb someone might have decided they prefer running premix rather then trust the autolube set up...which may have saved your top end considering the previous owner thinks the coolant overflow is the oil reservoir :roll:

ive been too munich a few times, that's a nice city
been to berlin ones, that was weird...it was getting late so I decided to park my bike up against a wall and go into this little restaurant and eat
2 wienerschnitzels and several warsteiners later I walk back out to where I parked my bike and no matter how well I looked...I could not find the wall :bravo:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
acid

Post by acid »

Thanks for helping identifying the bike.

The plastics turned out to be black, but painted green :mrgreen: